Powder Mearsures: RBCS Uniflow vs Hornady LNL

CalCoyote

Okay, my Lee powder measure has served me well over the last 4 years but it is time to upgrade and I can not spend $300+ on the RCBS chargemaster. I am looking at the RCBS Uniflow and Hornday Lock n Load. Both have the ability to do a do a quick change to swap out the metering assembly and both have an optional micrometer meter assembly available for about $35 which could be purchased sometime down the road (if needed).

At this point I am slightly leaning toward the RCBS unit and brought one home from Cabelas the other night but have not opened the box. I live close to Cabelas so I can return the RCBS for the Hornady unit if needed. What are your thoughts or opinions on these two units???

On a side note the Lee unit has a cheap plastic feel but delivered VERY consistent powder charges on both stick and ball powders. I would always set it to throw a charge approximately two tenths of a grain less than I wanted and I would then weigh each load and trickle it up to the desired charge weight. I will continue to use it on a limited basis. Lee has taken a lot a criticism at times but I can not complain about the consistency of the this unit. I just need something that is easier and quicker to adjust between cartridges.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CalCoyoteOn a side note the Lee unit has a cheap plastic feel but delivered VERY consistent powder charges on both stick and ball powders. I would always set it to throw a charge approximately two tenths of a grain less than I wanted and I would then weigh each load and trickle it up to the desired charge weight. I will continue to use it on a limited basis. Lee has taken a lot a criticism at times but I can not complain about the consistency of the this unit. I just need something that is easier and quicker to adjust between cartridges.

agree with you about the cheap feeling plastic *lee perfect powder measure*. but, the one i have throws the most consistent charges of all the throwers i have owned over the years. works way, way better than it should.

it does take a little bit of time to get it set when going from a large drop to a small drop or the other way around. but big deal. i am never in that big of rush that it bothers me much. if i was in that big of hurry to get ammo i would go buy factory ammo.

i will buy another lee perfect powder measure if the one i have ever takes a crap.

I've got the Hornady, I will sometimes load at a buddies place he has the RCBS, my opinion is they are both good units that function well. Kind of a tomato-tomauoto thing in my opinion.

Lee takes a bad rap but in all reality they make a lot of really great products.

I have a uniflow and have a heck of a time getting it to throw the exact charge everytime with stick powders like Varget or IMR 4064. The needle on the balance scale is either below or above the line. Each drop is different by a little. It's aggravating! I weigh and trickle each charge.

Originally Posted By: Phil BoylesI have a uniflow and have a heck of a time getting it to throw the exact charge everytime with stick powders like Varget or IMR 4064. The needle on the balance scale is either below or above the line. Each drop is different by a little. It's aggravating! I weigh and trickle each charge.

Phil,

I had read several reviews over at Midway that said the same thing. This was my main concern about the RCBS unit. I even called RCBS and was told that ALL powder measures vary on stick powders. I did not have the heart to tell the RCBS guy that my $35 Lee does not vary hardly at all and I use several (i4064,Varget, 4350, i4831 etc).

Last edited:
I have both a Uniflow and the Hdy, both older units from the 90's. The Hdy came with the micrometer stem back then, the Uniflow came with my Ammomaster progressive.

They are almost the same design, in fact I use the Hdy on the progressive just by switching over the hardware. I don't think one would prove much more accurate than the other, they both throw ball powder well, and neither throw stick powder well enough for precision loads. I always trickle those loads up. Especially as the charge weights go up, the variations go up also.

I find it hard to beat the lee it very accurate and consistent. My uniflow now sits on my rcbs piggyback. I measure the stem length on the lee with my dial micrometer and record it with my load data. It gets me real close later on if I need to set back up for that load.
J

Last edited:
I have 3 RCBS Uni-flows on my bench all set for a different charge. I have my RCBS Chargemaster also which I use for rifle loads, where the Uni-flow is for my pistol loads.

Originally Posted By: Phil BoylesI have a uniflow and have a heck of a time getting it to throw the exact charge everytime with stick powders like Varget or IMR 4064. The needle on the balance scale is either below or above the line. Each drop is different by a little. It's aggravating! I weigh and trickle each charge.

In the 35+ years that I've reloaded,I haven't found any powder thrower that will consistently throw any type of extruded kernel powders. Harrell's Precision is about the best on the market,and they still don't throw extruded powders precise,it's just the nature of the beast.
I use a Redding BR3 and a RCBS Uniflow. I just set them up to throw close and trickle to my correct weight.

Originally Posted By: TxhillbillyOriginally Posted By: Phil BoylesI have a uniflow and have a heck of a time getting it to throw the exact charge everytime with stick powders like Varget or IMR 4064. The needle on the balance scale is either below or above the line. Each drop is different by a little. It's aggravating! I weigh and trickle each charge.

In the 35+ years that I've reloaded,I haven't found any powder thrower that will consistently throw any type of extruded kernel powders. Harrell's Precision is about the best on the market,and they still don't throw extruded powders precise,it's just the nature of the beast.
I use a Redding BR3 and a RCBS Uniflow. I just set them up to throw close and trickle to my correct weight.

Not that I've been at it for that long, but I feel the same. Set the meter to throw .5 gr low and trickle the rest.

I am using H-110 in all 3 of my Uni-flows. One for 357, 44 Mag, and 460 Mag. The H-110 is very consistent through the Uni-flow for me. I h ave had issues with it using IMR4064, and Varget like others have mentioned.

Back