Greasy Neck Line

Wile E Coyotie

I got the fever real bad -itching and wanting to get out- --so headed out the door this Am early - to couple areas - i have worked in the past -
Ranchers are always happy to to see the Tacoma coming up the driveway at a little past day lite - trouble is its hard to say no all the time -- to a warm welcome - come in sit down - have a coffee and piece of toast .---

i got the call to run shot gun with colleague -Gov-Tech -who runs decoy dogs - he makes his rounds through the Province- into trouble areas and works with the local Tech of that area on denning projects --Very very cool -
if i didn't have the still open gapping wound in my heart from the last loyal yellow dog i owned - old Hanker--i would b up to my neck into it---

We did good and - the dogs worked till they had no more ---I had areas pre scouted -so we just slipped in and Bam - gotter done - -I added only one - but - mostly watched and let him call and shoot - -learning curve for me - was good weeks work

Here Brutus and Queenie get their reward at 5:25 am - no more sheep for her

We got a big weather system move through the area in the past few days bringing scary winds - ripping up the country side -- i watched the weather system on-line and as suggested found it laying flat at daylight --with projected light winds all day - on the back side of the front--perfect
-problem is we got lots of rain and the country side is like a clay ball- and all roads are tough at best

I followed the pavement -west from town about 15 mins and pick up the old rail line - I have shot here before - 2 track going in is almost grass covered so -ground has got some good tension to it- -Tacoma is stashed in with some old junk-- and up onto the old tracks - I find-- the grass is growing good and I can sit along side of them -in good cover--

- out front to the N -800 yrds wide open - no trees to b seen -- ocean of 6 inch high pea lentils ---as far as u can see 360 degrees --there is a drop in the landscape 100 yrds out that has a low spot in it - but short of that i am convinced i own the compass and send out a simple hello--- howl -- from my nest -- 15C 8;00 am- west wind 5 klm

In the N there is plenty of locator style response - yipping howling -- and in the west a lone howl- -i sit 10 mins- -and catch a large dogg on the horizon 500 yrds out moving my way- from the west-- on a steady trott he continues -
-I am amaze at how pin pointed - he has me - and - continues inside 100 yrd where he drops into the low spot -and is gone -- I had told myself it was a bad spot and now relies it follows the edge of the hill side all the way around to my wind low enough to b busted --
I start to panic and hit the stress Bark Bark Bark on the TX 500---Here at 200 yrds on my wind pretty much up on the horizon he comes looking for the bark-- #1016- Adult male -red rusty sable scrub -- I have to double tap him as he somehow find his feet and gets to the fence line-

Next set same thing - just 3 miles farther west along the rail line - Tacoma stashed up against rail bed -bank - and i walk about 300 yrds up to overlooking hill side -pimple -- after ranging in and all settled -- start in with the same program -- simple hello--
about 2 mins later like a Battleship on the horizon i can see over the top of the rise a big white one-catching lots of sun- the back drop is lentils green -so very easy to see him in the field -- now joined with a second one they continue to trott on a security pace to see whose's trespassing-

- I have pre ranged the theater and know its going to be shoot out - my excitement level starts to rev when a third tops out in the back -- they stop a couple time to scratch the ground and mark as they come -I am well placed and let them come -quite -- I see the big boy and know i want to get him - his tail is rubbed off or is mangy- but he is twice the size of the others -

at about 125 yrds - i stick my arm straight up to get their attention and they all stop --looking -- the big guy a little wary now starring through me - the 25:06 deflated him and a single spin he was down -#1017 adult alpha male white sable black -grease mite--tail hairless

- Fox Bang goes off on the caller and into pup distress -- the departing closest to me - pulls up to a stop looking back and catches ID #1018-adult female wet -white sable scrub--grease mite-- note double tapped- splash mark- 75 gr HP

i pull for the 3rd but find him going N hard - and do not fire--- but reload and let the foxpro play-

@ about 12 mins into the corner of the field comes - a white yapping female - threat challenging me all the way -- I am jacked - and let her come to about -125 yrds --then like an idiot- shoot over her- and 2 more after that into the clay --i suck - i hate that-- i tried not to think about the happy dance i would b doing with a triple - before i fired but - i had it all planned -scripted and patented -- lesson learned -

Note Greasy Neck line --Mite?

Next set - I suck again and fire high on a 200 yrd shot- - the 25:06 - is a light gun Brw A bolt ( Back up Deer rifle) --and i think i am putting too much of my body load against it while on the BIPod ?? - dang thing
i pulled out the paper and shot a couple rnd to b sure - shoots good bang on at 100 yrds ?? - Swift is at ACME Repair- Missing the Swift
- Wile E

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Always tough after a miss to get concentration back and the switch to different rifle probably didn't help any either. Have you figured out what caused the hi pressure in the swift?

Enjoyed the read. Thanks.

Regards,
hm

I don't know if mites would cause greasy neck? You know how dogs are when they see dead things or manure, they wanna roll in it and walk around proud.. That scope looks a lil shinny..

Originally Posted By: Infidel 762I don't know if mites would cause greasy neck? You know how dogs are when they see dead things or manure, they wanna roll in it and walk around proud.. That scope looks a lil shinny..

Shinny like a light sabre - needing upgrade there too-- lol --
Biologist suggest we have some kinda mite infesting our area- and to look for a greasy neck line -- first time i have seen it-- fur value becomes worthless they say

Pressure problem is not resolved - I believe I have had some brass get into my mix that need to b trimed - Ie COL being to long- i think was my issue - i will b starting all over again backing off the load 40.8 grs H380 - to b sure my powder is not unstable as it is new jug - new brass go from there - cross my fingers -

wile E do you anneal your brass? man at douglas barrels said annealing .220 brass will help or stop pressure problems. I have not tried it, because I don't shot mine much any more. it is a sandbag gun. 26"barrel 10 pounds. just a thought. .220's are funny.

Last edited:
Quote:pressure problem is not resolved - I believe I have had some brass get into my mix that need to b trimed - Ie COL being to long- i think was my issue

That would sure do it as could changing powder lot. I have found it to be just as easy to trim every time case is reloaded as it is to check and sort cases, using the Lee trimmers in conjunction w/cordless drill.

Regards,
hm

another fine read Wiley, thanks for sharing. I was wondering about the gun until I got to the bottom of the post.
What kind of temperatures were you having on those stands?

Thanks -to all-
Old Cat - i am going to look into the brass- time to junk out some of this pail full-

HM-- i like the idea of sizing each time -lesson learned- I only put together 40 rnds at a time - - each one hand trickled- and each measured over Ogive gauge to seated height-- so i think what happened was - old brass got through sizing too close - or over Max Case length - 2.205 - Trim length - is 2.195 -
I have been looking at some and find they r 2.205 -loaded - so I am taking them apart - A bunch of new brass here measuring 2.195 -
- Tell me anyone pls - should u size new brass-? -run it through the die full length neck size-it - I do not see it grow- from the die - but when fired -it grows in length

JF1073 - when the primers blew - it was not extreme- only 20C - so about 70 ish F -- and i went back to check the date of the last powder pour and the humidity was near 58% -- someone earlier mentioned about that factor- -so the plot thickens

and Lefty --it is cuz of GOPRO- image- curvature is greater when the camera is out of its case but generally always has fisheye effect

Quote: Tell me anyone pls - should u size new brass-?

May not be necessary, but I do because some of the case necks are usually deformed a bit in shipping/handling. First I run (even new brass) across the Lee case trimmer. Trimmer seldom takes off any brass, but that way, I'm sure. Next I chamfer inside and de-burr outside of neck. Then I run it through the sizing die. May be a couple of unnecessary steps in there, but that way I'm satisfied a long case didn't slip by the QC folks and doesn't take all that long to do.

Regards,
hm

Back