Bedding a Ruger American

pyscodog

I have a new Boyd's stock coming for my RAP. Boyd's recommends bedding the recoil lugs. Do you permanently bed them in or use release agent so they will come out? Not sure myself??? Thanks

I would use release agent. This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Kiwi-Neutral-Shoe-Polish-1-1/dp/B000UBOZZU/ref=pd_sim_309_3/191-6454066-9188865?ie=UTF8&dpID=51qaq7kxBKL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=9H34ZC4RX2DD2A4SXJJW

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI have a new Boyd's stock coming for my RAP. Boyd's recommends bedding the recoil lugs. Do you permanently bed them in or use release agent so they will come out? Not sure myself??? Thanks

Definitely use a release agent, and the neutral Kiwi polish works as well as anything. Just make sure that you coat everything. Every nook and cranny. I will rob play-doh or modeling clay from my kids to fill in spots like the trigger and trigger pin holes, gas relief port etc. Marine Tex or Devcon Steel putty work about as well as anything. Just take your time and think it through. I bedded a couple "beater" rifles for practice before I bedded one of my Manners stocks. Holler at me if you have any questions.

I just did mine. Just the lugs can be bedded in, but I did a full bedding of the action. The problems I ran into was that while I really like the Boyd's stock and the fit and finish are the usual excellent job I have always gotten from them...they missed the boat on having the action screws go thru a plastic clip for the magazine and a plastic trigger guard. I found that I was unable to get the action screws tight because the plastic clip and trigger guard just mashed.
Some guys claimed to put a washer under them, but that didn't stop the plastic from smashing for me. I finally solved the problem by machining a stainless magazine clip for the front screw. Then I drilled thru the trigger guard and allowed that bolt to tighten against a stainless washer. I used a smaller screw installed at an angle to retain the trigger guard to the stock. I was finally able to get the action screws tight and shoot some decent groups. Well, that is after I also installed a Timney trigger and X-Caliber barrel.

Edit: One more potential problem to be aware of...the area or cutout in the stock where the safety connector bar rides needs to be looked at carefully...it is very easy to get a little too much bedding squeezed into that spot. If it interferes with the connector the trigger will feel real creepy and sometimes the rifle will not fire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pyscodogThanks for the tips msinc. Sounds like I might have been as well off just fixing the factory stock.

Well...not really. If the factory one could have been fixed I don't know how...just way too soft. It sure wasn't for lack of trying that mine didn't improve any.
Biggest problem with the American is the fact that the magazine is only designed to shoot factory length ammo...no seating the bullet out to the lands. Unless you modify the magazine, which is next on my agenda...easy to do if you have a vertical mill.
I guess I shouldn't complain too much, I like the rifle and have shot some really nice groups out of it. Killed several woodchucks way out there too. But then again if I would have had to pay the gunsmith bill for a new stock, new barrel, glass bed, install trigger, machine a barrel nut wrench, machine muzzle crown, make the parts for the stock, install scope and zero...I could have had a Sako 85!!!!!
All kidding aside, I think you will really like it once you get it all done and shooting straight. Good luck!!!

Originally Posted By: msincif I would have had to pay the gunsmith bill for a new stock, new barrel, glass bed, install trigger, machine a barrel nut wrench, machine muzzle crown, make the parts for the stock, install scope and zero...I could have had a Sako 85!!!!!

sounds an awful lot like a savage b-mag.
lol.gif

Mine shoots pretty good now. Plenty good for a hunting rifle. I was hoping the Boyd's would solve the stock problem though. My machine shop days are over due to the plant moving to Kentucky and I retired. Any specialty work will now have to be farmed out. A drill, dremel and a bastard file are about the extent of my machine shop now. Guess I may have to get creative!!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: msincifif I would have had to pay the gunsmith bill for a new stock, new barrel, glass bed, install trigger, machine a barrel nut wrench, machine muzzle crown, make the parts for the stock, install scope and zero...I could have had a Sako 85!!!!!

sounds an awful lot like a savage b-mag.
lol.gif

Yep, but then again I probably just got a bad barrel...it looked about like a chainsaw file turned inside out!!! It also had .035" runout on the outside. The bore was straight though and of course it walked a lot when it heated up. There are a lot of people that claim to have Americans that shoot very accurate.
You buy a cost effective gun and you hope that you at least get one...not in my case. This thing was supposed to be a truck gun, and it is...just with a Weatherby Lazermark price!!!

I sent Boyd's an e-mail today in regards to their trigger guards. They responded , and quickly I might add, that they knew nothing of the trigger guards being soft and people having any problems with them. Also, their engineers strive to make the best product they can to make their product the best available. I also ask if there was a metal replacement and got no answer on that or the status of my order for a stock. Go Figure!!

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlWhat's the delivery time for your Boyds stock ?
May go that route also,, and which one did you go with ?

I got the "Prairie Hunter" with the "ribbon panel" with "stippling"...when I ordered it they said it would be ready to ship in 7-10 days. They shipped it on the 7th day and I got it on the 10th day. I was very happy with the time to receive. A lot of people complain about the service and/or quality but I have always got fast service and a first rate high quality stock that fit with zero work. Every one dropped right in.
Now the plastic stuff on the Ruger American is a little different...I knew it was less than stellar before I ever ordered it. Look on other forums or google the stock and you will see people talking about using washers under the magazine latch or trigger guard.
When I got my Prairie Hunter for my 700 it had a slight but very comfortable palm swell...this one for the Ruger did not have it, which was a bit of a disappointment because I like palm swells on my rifles.
The other thing is that any problems with the stock anyways are just something that will have to be dealt with/lived with because as far as I know Boyd's is the only game in town for the American.
"may go that route also"...yep. you will if you want a different stock. Either that or make one yourself.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMine shoots pretty good now. Plenty good for a hunting rifle. I was hoping the Boyd's would solve the stock problem though. My machine shop days are over due to the plant moving to Kentucky and I retired. Any specialty work will now have to be farmed out. A drill, dremel and a bastard file are about the extent of my machine shop now. Guess I may have to get creative!!

Yeah, the little magazine latch thing is easy enough...you can really make one with a file and a hacksaw if you want to. Take a little doing, but it would work just perfect. Now the magazine itself requires a vertical mill.

I ordered a thumbhole camo for the American. Mine is a Predator so I will have to open the barrel channel a little but knew that going into it. Just have to work through the rest of it I guess.

Back