New hunter needing help

Nauxier16

Hey guys I've been on a few coyote stands here in eastern Ky but have not had any luck. I am a beginner to say the least at coyote hunting. I have deer/turkey hunted all my life but just now getting into predator hunting. I have been using my foxpro wildfire e-caller. I recently bought a new foxpro hellfire because I've read that it is a better call. What kinds of calls should I be making and how long. Also how long should I stay in one location without activity before moving on? All help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I figure the sounds I make when calling might contribute about 10% - 15% to the success of a stand. Marksmanship another 10% - 15%... The key is where you decide to make those sounds from. That's called "the stand" or something similar and is about 70% - 80% of your success. It's just that important. Research how to choose a winning location to plop down and start the screaming and you'll be well on your way to having some fur on the ground.

Here is some research material...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=83113#Post83113

I have learned that after you decide to stop calling. Keep still and sit tight for a bit in silence. Sometimes they will respond after the commotion has stopped. I was hunting fox over last winter. Nothing responded so I walked around. I went back to my stand location and found fox tracks on the snowy log that I was sitting against. The tracks were literally in my butt print.

Nauxier16,

Feel free to give me a call anytime between 9AM and 7PM I will be more than happy to explain how I typically set up on a stand. I will answer whatever questions you may have.

G19g4,

You are correct, I usually stay 5 to 7 minutes after completing my call sequence and and has done well for me.

Joe
(814)364-9660

Last edited:
The caller, gear you use and time on stand are the fine details of being a good coyote Hunter. To be successful, You have to learn their habit. Where they live, how they travel, what they will or will not do..they're just like anything else that you hunt.

Night eyes, I've been looking at your lights and I really like the looks of them. What color do you recommend? Red or green?
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Night EyesSorry I haven’t been on for a while. Red for sure!

Joe

You lights look awesome. But I already have a light force.

Go nocturnal bro. Verminator Tweety mouth call with foxpro makes a deadly combo. They around, you just dont seez em. Out here east, they are even more weary. I didnt start having real success out here until I went nocturnal. Back home in the midwest, and out west I had great success daytime for years..... Out here its a different game, IMO.

Save up, go night vision. You will not regret it. (if your state allows)

Respectfully submitted 2 cents-

-Tommy

Last edited:
Back