Problems with 204 ruger 39 gr. sierra blitzking bullets

catbegone

Was out shooting the 204 today using sierra 39 gr, blitzking bullets an had 16 out of 100 come apart and hit way off target. Anyone else have this problem.

Originally Posted By: catbegoneWas out shooting the 204 today using sierra 39 gr, blitzking bullets an had 16 out of 100 come apart and hit way off target. Anyone else have this problem.

Not in a 204 with that bullet. What was your twist rate and speed, or at least the load.

Greg

All my 204's are 1:12 and my other 20's are 1:10. I've pushed that bullet around 3900+ with both and never had an issue. BY chance did you crimp them heavily?

Greg

No crimping. Have shoot of 500 of these bullets and never had this happen till today. Gun has right at 1400 rounds threw it

Could have just been a bad batch. If you have any left I would pull the batch number and give The Bulletsmiths a call. I suspect they would like that batch bag for testing plus they will probably give you a few replacements.

Greg

Originally Posted By: catbegoneI'm going to call them tomorrow. Don't have any left but have the empty case.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatthey say.

I blew up some 40 VMAX 22's out of a 22X6.8 8 twist and I know they were just not heavy enough for the speed I was pushing. The bullet you are shooting is plenty heavy at those twists and speeds.

greg

I've used it (briefly) at 4550 in a 12 twist Dasher, working load is a more sane 4350.

How many rounds on the tube? Poofs are usually a bad sign.

- DAA

Sierra told me that it sounds like my barrel has heat checking which they run into with the 204 and said I could try polishing the throat which might help prolong the barrel life

That throat stuff doesn't polish up well. I guess a guy could hit it with Top Engine Cleaner/Sea Foam and then use some Butches on a mop but that might well be like bailing the ocean with a tea cup.

A set back and a new chamber may well be in your future.

Greg

1400 rounds sounds a little early. Maybe carbon ring? I'm no expert on this stuff but I'm thinking mine has almost twice that many rounds. But Sierra's always did strange stuff in my 204. I had some 32's keyhole iirc.

Reasonable possibility.

If polishing the throat works my money would be on hard carbon fouling removal being why.

Which makes the suggestion almost make sense.

- DAA

It might be a little late but you can try this and see if you get a little life back in to it.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning...-prod39515.aspx

http://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning...-prod39516.aspx

On cartridges that are very overbore I use these products every 100-150 rounds to help manage throat erosion - just trying to keep it polished. Using this method with a 7RUM I got 1700ish rounds of bbl life before I had to re-barrel. One sample, I know but I am using it with my 17 TAC and a few others and so far it looks promising.

I clean bbl / bore to the metal and then polish throat with JB cleaner first then the JB bore bright. 10-15 strokes with each is all I do. I base it on feel. If it feels rough I polish it until it feels smooth. I then run 2 patches of hBN suspended in alcohol and then 1 dry patch and then I go shooting.

3M polishing paper works well also. 5-30 micron.

I got approx 2600 rounds thru one of my Coopers (204). My standard load was Sierra 39 gr, with Benchmark, at a LOT less fps than you're shooting. Barrel was a real tack-driver, but when accuracy quit, it quit. I couldn't hit a 8x10 piece of paper at 200! I sent it back to Cooper for a re-barrel. This bbl is accurate, but as much as the other.
My other Cooper 204 got 3300 rounds thru it before a re-barrel. I shot 32 gr Sierra Blitzkings with Benchmark thru it too. I had it bore scoped before re-barrel and throat looked like "rough pavement". However, it would still shoot 1/2" at 200 yds, and lasted two more prairie dog trips. I seated the bullets out a little longer, and it helped (this gun, not the other).
I would seat the bullets out longer, do a REALLY good cleaning, and if that doesn't work....time to look for a new barrel.

Back