Favorite hunting round to suppress

What do you guys consider to be the most effective caliber to suppress for coyote hunting? Im looking for something that is a good trade-off between noise and ballistics.

Thanks

Last edited:
are you looking for subsonic suppressed hunting?

or supersonic suppressed hunting?

in the case of subsonic suppressed... the 300 blk is probably going to be your winner. with subsonics it comes down to 1000 fps (give or take a few fps of course) to stay below the sound barrier so in that realm - so the heavier you can go the better. big + heavy = penetration. The other factor to consider is efficiency. in both of these realms the blackout wins. and if you want to go with a bolt gun... you can go stupid quiet too by playing the powder game while handloading.

bullets that expand that those speeds are going to be relatively limited and pricey. But very few good hunting bullets are going to come cheaply. Look to company's like Lehigh defense, maker bullets, or blackoutbullets.com for some good choices in that realm.

alexander arms is also working on a subsonic expanding HP option as loaded ammo, but no word on a projectile only release date.

if you're looking to do supersonic suppressed - just screw a can on the front, verify your POI shift (if any) and go at it.

HTH!

Originally Posted By: NChunter89What do you guys consider to be the most effective caliber to suppress for coyote hunting? Im looking for something that is a good trade-off between noise and ballistics.

Thanks

For now, it's my 223AI shooting 53Vmax out of a 22in. 1-9tw Hart barrel with a TBAC 223P-2 can screwed on the end.

BUT!

That could soon change when I get my SAS Barricade out of ATF jail, which should be any day now, and I give it a go on my 6-284.

You will love that Barricade. It's an awesome can.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: NChunter89What do you guys consider to be the most effective caliber to suppress for coyote hunting? Im looking for something that is a good trade-off between noise and ballistics.

Thanks

For now, it's my 223AI shooting 53Vmax out of a 22in. 1-9tw Hart barrel with a TBAC 223P-2 can screwed on the end.

BUT!

That could soon change when I get my SAS Barricade out of ATF jail, which should be any day now, and I give it a go on my 6-284.

Another vote for the 300 BO. Sub or super. I VERY rarely have a shot more than 150 yards, so this is my go to for any work that needs to done around the homestead, or huntin grounds.

I ended up with a 208 Hornady, over 11.7gr of A1680 in my RAR 300blk. It's super quiet but only thing I will "hunt" with it will be snapping turtles in my lake!

My favorite supersonic round is my Bison Armory 6.8SPC. Shooting Sierra gamekings at around 2550fps. It's very quiet and smacks like a hammer.

While my blackouts are lots of fun to shoot suppressed for hunting I still prefer my 7rem mag suppressed. The can takes the recoil out better than a brake and not much louder than my BO or my 308 with cans but more energy than either. People I hunt with say from a couple of hundred yards they can only hear the sonic crack of the bullet. the ones that don't know what to listen for never hear me shoot. Best of all, I still don't need ear pro and my ears don't ring like they did with the brake.

Back