25-45 Sharps

barrelslime

Anybody playing with the new 25-45? I was just getting going on a 6.8 build or buy and now I see the 25-45.
Not a lot out there yet on it, ammo is proprietorially still Sharps. Interesting looking round though. I do like that its parent cartridge is the 223. Any thoughts or comparisons between 6.8spc and 25-45?

Originally Posted By: barrelslimeAnybody playing with the new 25-45? I was just getting going on a 6.8 build or buy and now I see the 25-45.
Not a lot out there yet on it, ammo is proprietorially still Sharps. Interesting looking round though. I do like that its parent cartridge is the 223. Any thoughts or comparisons between 6.8spc and 25-45?

It's doing well slowly across the board. BHW was doing the barrels last year and they do shoot. I fine little deer cartridge with a bit heavier bullet choice than the 6X45.

Accuracy is pretty decent and it is easy to load for. SHARPS and CH4D sell dies for it. Straight neck up from the 223 so that is easy. Loading dat from the 6x45 is used and move up a tad from their because of the expansion ratio. It doesn't have the energy of the 6.8 thanks to teh bulet weight but it is a nice cheap alternative.
Here's a group shot by Ritch at 100 yards. 90 grain Sierra Game King over H335 at 2780 from an 18"AR.

Group size was 0.547 CTC. I have one I had Ritch build. I just need to go out and drive it some.

Greg

Last edited:
When Midway was nearly giving those 90 gr sgk's away this last spring I thought they would be perfect for a 25/45. I was tempted to buy a bunch and build an AR for them lol.

That's a pretty decent speed also I think. Not that far under what my 18" 264 lbc will do.

90 grain SGK would be a great bullet at those speeds too. I hope this thread doesn't end in me getting a new upper...

I have been using this round now....5 yrs and the 90gr bullets are great choices....even though I still prefer the 70gr bk as standard round in this caliber.

Most of the bullets do really well in the 90 and 87 gr weights....good deer killers.

Last edited:
I have a 25-45 and a 6.8 upper. Rarely shoot them, but my 25-45 really likes 87gr. bullets and the two pigs I killed really hated the round.

Back