speer hot-cor

Spike

I am looking for any actual experiences with speer hot cor bullets on big game animals. I was given a box of 140gr speers for my 260rem and the accuracy and speed are good but I have no knowledge of their performance on game animals. thanks Spike

I have used the speer hot cors for a long time. I like them and the grand slams also. The have proven exceptionally accurate in the 7 mag and my 300 wea. I think that they shine in the heavy for caliber bullets like you have with the 140. Made my longest kill to date at a shade over 400yards witha 160 hot cor.

I've used the Speer 105 gr. .243 spitzer and 170 gr. flat point .30-30 bullet quite a bit on whitetails. It's been a quick expanding bullet that does good damage inside. I've had an exit on the broadside shots on the skinny Ozark whitetails I've shot. Both bullets are extremely accurate in my loads and rifles.

I've used the .257 87gr Hot Cores in my 250-3000 Savage 99 and they worked well for me, no complaints.

I shot a bunch of deer when I was young with a 7x57mm using 130gr Speer Hot Cores. It was the bullet my Ruger No 1 liked best.

The three of us used the 90gr speer hot core bullets to take over 60 elk out of our 243s. one of the better bullets at a good price.Dad use to drive us down to lewiston Id to tour the speer factory and buy bullets.the good old days

7/08- we love the 130g Speer BTSP, fabulous performer on deer

308-30/06- 165g spt BT, and flat base are excellent

243,6 Rem the 85g BTSP is fantastic on antelope, this is a deer bullet not a varmint bullet

270-130g btsp and flat base are excellent performers on deer

25/06-my favorite(most accurate) bullet is the 100g BTSP with a hot load of R#19, unreal accurate in my Rem 700

Last edited:
thanks for all the favorable comments about the speer hot cor bullets. I will try the 140gr bullet on elk, if I'm lucky. thanks spike

Back