Anyone using an ACOG on their AR?

tbarile

I just picked up a RRA Predator Pursuit and had the intentions of putting a 3-12 sightron (I've had great luck with them) on it but have been seeing quite a few ACOG's on AR's in the 4x range and people say they can shoot out to 300yds with it. Most of my shots for coyotes will be less than 200 and of course sometimes running. Anyone with experience using an ACOG in this manner or have a recommendation on another type of scope? Thanks

The Acog just did not work for me I would go with a scope like you mentioned or buy the best glass you can afford.There are some nice lite weight scopes out there for what an acog may cost you.

I have two ACOGs on predator AR's. For shots 350 and under, they are super fast and super clear, one is 4x and the other is 3.5, I prefer the 3.5 as it has a bit more eye relief. Money very well spent.
(I like my sightrons as well)

Originally Posted By: C.JayI have two ACOGs on predator AR's. For shots 350 and under, they are super fast and super clear, one is 4x and the other is 3.5, I prefer the 3.5 as it has a bit more eye relief. Money very well spent.

What models do you have?

I like mine. It's a military bring back. I bout 2 because I got them half price of new. It's a good shooting optic(of course) I do t know if I'd like it for hunting though. I only use mine for range use. I got a bushel ar223 scope and it's actually very decent of a scope. I put it on my little bolt gun

Last edited:
TA11J-G 3.5x35 (better eye relief)

TA31RCO 4x32.

You really cannot discern the .5x difference in mag, but the 3.5 does have a better eye relief, making it a bit quicker for me on fast shots.

Originally Posted By: tbarileOriginally Posted By: C.JayI have two ACOGs on predator AR's. For shots 350 and under, they are super fast and super clear, one is 4x and the other is 3.5, I prefer the 3.5 as it has a bit more eye relief. Money very well spent.

What models do you have?

Last edited:
I have run a 4x on a scar 16 and on an AR. I personal perfect a red bot or a 1-4 scope to the acog. That being said they are tough

Ever watch any of the old news clips from back during the war in Iraq??? Remember how all the soldiers had the butt of their M-4 sitting on top of their shoulder and the gun almost turned sideways when it showed them entering a building to do a sweep and clear??? That is because the Trijicon ACOG has about 1/4" of eye relief{no B.S.} They had to hold the gun that way to get the scope close enough to their eye to see through it!!!
Neat scope, I had one with the red chevron...it was bright and clear and it stayed zeroed good, but that way too little eye relief kills it.
One other thing about that scope...when you go to sight it in read the instruction manual carefully...it says to make your corrections on the turret and then bang on the side of the scope with a piece of wood or plastic mallet/plastic screwdriver handle to "set" the adjustment. If you don't whack it a few times the reticle wont move no matter how much you screw on the turret.
Bottom line...do yourself a favor, buy something else!!!!! Especially for the money.
In all fairness, I did see a new one the other day that seemed to have better eye relief, better, but not much.

rolleyes.gif

I have never had to beat on either of my ACOGs. And the 4x I own has about 1.25" of eye relief and the 3.5x about 2 ".

I don't remember the OP stating he was an operator operating operationally and would be clearing rooms....

ROFLMAO

It's not uncommon at the rifle range to see guys go 10/10 on a human torso silhouette at 500 yards. Heck, I've done it myself. That said, that's prone on a mowed grass range on a black and white target. I'm not sure that would be repeatable on a coyote in the field.

I have the TA31F, red chevron on mine. Works for me in the conditions I hunt. In low light situations, sometimes I will put a small piece of black tape over the fiber optic to bring the brightness of the chevron down, but other than that I have no complaints using it. My shots are usually in the 100-350m range.

Originally Posted By: tbarileI was just reading that you can't use acog for night hunting as the light washes the optics out. Is that true?

If it uses fiber optics for illumination like the ones I saw in the Army, you can put tape over it to dull the retical and with it being fiber optic, I'd assume it would dim with the lower light. I never worked with one since I never was important enough to be issued one though.

Back