A challenge for you defensive handgunners...

GC

Let's have some fun and hone and perhaps improve our skills... What I propose is that we have a little friendly online competition. Let's shoot a standard handgun drill, post our target pictures and results for comparison. The drill I'd like to start with is THE DOT TORTURE DRILL. This drill requires 50 rounds of ammunition and usually begins at 3 measured yards. This first time wouldn't have to be timed fire. Let's use our defensive pistols, not some specialized gamer gun. There is a version of DOT TORTURE for semi-auto and revolver. I'll post a link of the drill specifics and where you can print a target and a video of a guy shooting the drill and explaining the stages. It's just for fun, the drill will expose your handgun weaknesses. Which is good, it gives you a purpose and a goal when you go to the range. It will improve your skills. We could give ourselves a few weeks to shoot and post. If we like it, maybe try a twist on this drill or move to a different drill for fun.

Any interest?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mBujg4IRVp8

http://pistol-training.com/drills/dot-torture

That looks like a hoot
thumbup.gif

Yeah, weak hand is my downfall. Which is why I need to shoot this, ya just never know, right? I'm going to try to shoot and post results by the end of the week.

With my wacky schedule, I will try and shoot / post by Christmas.

Thanks for putting this out there, I am sure that we can all use a little trigger time.

I'm game. Post pics in this thread? We can print on 24x36 for bigger targets, right
w00t.gif

Seriously, is it supposed to be 11x17 (appears to be in video) or 8.5x11? Changes size substantially.

I am game, and I need it. I just saw the results from my last GSSF Match! Not having time to practice sure showed up there.
frown.gif

I am with Coleridge...I need a bigger target, too.
rolleyes.gif

I will see if I can get on the range and run the drill a few times. I will probably cheat a little. I EDC a G27, but I have a G23 as my "truck gun". I will see which one gives me a prayer of completing the drill, in the practice rounds, and go with that pistol.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I plan on just printing on a regular piece of 8.5"X11" paper. That makes the dots 2". Remember we start at 3 yards/9 feet and with no time restrictions. Let's give it an honest go and see how we do.

We can post results right here and keep this thread fresh. Maybe a Mod could make it a sticky thread and keep it up top. I'd like to do this as a monthly thing changing either the drill or some component of the drill for a fresh challenge each month. I think we could have a lot of fun with it.

What a great drill! I'll have to give it a go when I can find the pistol range empty so no one will know just how out of pratice I am. Regards

Yeah, I was thinking any printer can do 8.5x11 but not everyone has ability to print 11x17 (although I'm pretty sure that's what guy in vidio was shooting). Likely more entries if we go standard...

It does make a different though. About 2" circle on 8.5x11 & about 2.6" on 11x17. Doesn't sound like that much of a difference, but in terms of area; your looking at about a 70% bigger target on a 11x17. So guys don't feel bad when you don't do as good as guy on video (but most will have an advantage on their week hand from him if you noticed...).

Ok, let's use a standard sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper.

A question before anyone gets out to shoot... Do we shoot from the holster or from low ready? Obviously if it's a carry gun shooting from the holster gives you good practice. But if it's a nightstand gun...? Further, to make the drill easier for anyone to get involved with not everyone will always have a holster for a particular gun at a particular time. To keep things on the level shooting from low ready might be best as the standard we all keep.

Now having said that, since there is no time limit if a guy wants to use his carry holster then I think by all means do so. Really shouldn't make a difference since we aren't timing anything. I just don't want to exclude anyone because they don't have a holster right at this time. Thoughts?

Low Ready sounds good to me, but I have Blackhawk CQCs for all of my pistols, so holstered works too. So what is the exact courses of fire?

3 yards, 50 rounds, described in the drill, not timed, then what? Again at 3 yards timed? And third course of fire at 5 yards? Or just one course of fire, at 3 yards, not timed?

Need clarification. I might have to consider a different pistol, if the round count climbs, as the G27 and the G23,
are not kind to my hands, after a 100 rounds or so. I am getting soft.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I'm down for it if I can find a printer. I'd like to try it with my Kimber Micro that I just got a couple months ago, but all I have for it is a pocket sleeve holster. I've got a couple other handguns I can run it with also.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeLow Ready sounds good to me, but I have Blackhawk CQCs for all of my pistols, so holstered works too. So what is the exact courses of fire?

3 yards, 50 rounds, described in the drill, not timed, then what? Again at 3 yards timed? And third course of fire at 5 yards? Or just one course of fire, at 3 yards, not timed?

Need clarification. I might have to consider a different pistol, if the round count climbs, as the G27 and the G23,
are not kind to my hands, after a 100 rounds or so. I am getting soft.
grin.gif

Squeeze

I think GC intends one "drill" at 3 yards. The instructions call for 50 shots at the one piece of paper (10 dots). That would be end of it. Enter other or same pistol as many times as you want.

Here is my first attempt. Used what I usually have near; a G21SF, with Wilson Combat barrel. I know this wasn’t supposed to be timed but for the sake of the exercise; I tried to “hurry” through the drills that I felt where supposed to be fast. Got a little too fast on some, likely could have been faster on some too. Definitely learned few things…

#1 a measured 9 feet is CLOSE
#2 Fix the target properly – I was in a hurry and just poked hole with knife at top & hung the cardboard from a a sapling limb. My first dot, every shot shook the tree & was still waving during the next shot. Kind of looks dumb, my slow fire group being about the worst, but alas; I have an excuss
tt2.gif
#3 When you’re getting confident & start shooting faster than you should, you get misses (see dot #4 fast transition from 3-4). Started getting wild in the doubletap drill also (6/7), but for some reason the second target there was much better???
#4 I’m about embarrassed how poor my strong hand is from draw…
#5 I’m pretty d@mn good with my week hand
w00t.gif
smile.gif
(however, here I did not hurry at all, took plenty of time expecting it to be extra poor). Still, it looks like I need practice grip week hand. My POI is obvious right.
#6 It sucks having to pick up magazines on 9/10
#7 I recommend not doing it in mid 90 degree heat. I about melted. Sweat dripping! Especially after picking up brass (I'm getting old).

Anyway, here is target. There are few double holes that are hard to see but they are there.

If I get a little time I’ll try it again for sure… It was fun & a bit educating.

Well done! Yeah, 3 yards is close but it still puts a bit of pressure on you. If you want to make it tougher then a guy can time his shooting strings or move the target out. Moving that out to 5 and then 7 makes the drill considerably tougher and at 10 yards it's considered a real bear. Especially if timed.

I gathered some ammo and targets together but it's 99* here right now. I'd like to shoot it this weekend but my son and I have a fishing trip on Saturday and the family is having a Fathers Day BBQ get together Sunday. It might be next week before I can get to the range. I plan to shoot my Shield and M&P 9mm's.

I think you shot well, thanks for getting out and participating and posting your results!

Thanks. Some where worse than I expected, surprisingly some where better too.

Yeah, even though it's not necessarily timed. If you don't at least push; it's really the same test at each dot. I did use a holster also (but agree not a necessity for everyone).

The heat is brutal, but looks like a cooler weekend. I'm try to attempt it again with my G34. I shoot it a lot more & have hopes I can get faster & still have 50 hits with it
thumbup.gif
. May try it few others if time allows.

Back