Building snares

tjleitch

I just started snaring and have the last few weeks snared 4 coyotes. I want to build my own and just not sure which cable to useand etc.I would like to get options on locks cable and etc. I had 8 coyote on my camera 2 years ago. I called in 3 this past winter and snared 4 but I know that there is plenty more and probably a lot of pups raised in the last year or so. I want them gone. Please help me out on what to get. I probably going to try and do some calling this weekend but with this heat it going to be tough.

Building snares is fun and often times you can build better snares than you can buy off the shelf. Most of this is because you can customize according to what you are trapping and use quality components. For coyotes I like 1/16 size snares in 1x19 cable. I am using cam locks, but there are other good locks out there. The 1x19 cable is stiffer and makes a better loop. It also seems to hold up better to kinks and separation. Some think this is too small for coyotes but I am able to use kill springs and entanglement so it works well. You definitely want to check on your rules in your state so your snares will comply. You may need deer stop and kill springs may be out. I also like to add swivels to help prevent kinks.

5/64 1x19 loaded with mini cam locks. I will not buy any more cable from anyone other than Newt Sterling. Very straight coiled .Get Korean cable from him at snareone !

Hi can I asked a ? I too want to snare coyotes. But in Arkansas the lock has to be one piece. Is the mico lock a good way? I was looking at 60 inch 3/32 mico lock?

Back