Where to setup fawn distress

Clhuff

If I were set up using fawn distress or elk calf distress for coyotes. Would I want to place myself 300-500 yards downwind of call. Or within view of the call. I hunt alone and usually at night but been waiting awhile for the right wind so whenever I get the chance. I hunt in the mountains of north central Pa. By the way. Thanks!

I set my call 50 yards away max, I like short easy shots. 300-500 yards away really doesn't make much sense to me.

Why not try at a 100 yrds first...it may or may not keep you outta the coyote scent cone..I'd experiment...Will your caller reach out that far?

can you make a 300 to 500 yard shot at night? I have killed at 280, not because I wanted to, but because it was the only shot I had, & I knew the distance. dark is tuff. I never set-up to shot at that range even in daylight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vahunterI set my call 50 yards away max, I like short easy shots. 300-500 yards away really doesn't make much sense to me.

Me too.

I'm not trying to shoot that far. I'm trying to set up that far back incase they want to get down wind first before coming in. Does no one do this?? Wanted to see what would be better. Only have 1 chance at this spot

Last edited:
Me personally I set up about 100 yards from the cover, down wind. I set the call out about 30-35 yards up wind from me. In my experience here in Va. they often will skirt the cover working down wind.
I set up where I can kill them when they pop out, before they get down wind.

The set-up is largely responsible for your success. Really dig in and research how to set up a calling site. Setting up 300 - 500 yards away from the caller in mountainous terrain and at night is a sure way to come up empty handed. Even during the daytime my caller is never more than 30 - 40 yards from me and always within sight.

First I'm not a good coyote hunter, not even decent, so I probably shouldn't be giving advice. So I will give you a scenario.

Picture this, you set your call 300 yards away. At night. First can you see that far at night with your light? If you can see, can you identify your target well? Better then that, you have your call 300 yards away upwind from you I think most people can agree coyotes don't always get right on top of the call say they decide to not come in closer then 100 yards. So now you have a 400 yard shot. Another question is, have you ever tried to scan an area as vast as that? You can't just scan to the call and think "Oh well I can see to the call must not be any coyotes around" yeah... the situation sounds like a disaster and sure as [beeep] doesn't sound like you'd have any success at all.

Edit: Why does using fawn distress have any effect on where you put your call??

Last edited:
Back