DPMS G2, anyone own one?

realtree hunter

Ive always wanted a 308 AR but have never liked the heavy bulky (to me) AR 10. I have only recently discovered the G2s even though it seems that all the reviews that I can find are 2014 or older. Does anyone here have one of these rifles? If so which one and do you like it? I really wanted the Recon but I don't like the idea of a 16" 308. 16" 223s are loud enough and I would rather not lose that much velocity. This kinda sends me to the hunter which is fine except that the barrel isn't threaded and my smith is a bolt man. Sorry for the rambling so if anyone has one, what do ya think about it?

if you need a barrel threaded - get ahold of adco.

theyve done 4 barrels for me so far and do nice work & turn around is quick.

send them the barrel only, and its $65 for thread pattern of your choice + shipping both ways of course.

they will also turn thread protectors for an additional $15 to match the barrel profile for you while its there.

[edit] just a happy customer. no other relation to adco.

and i hear ya on the noise from a 16" 308 upper. I've got a LR308 that in its original incarnation is a 16". I built a 20" upper for it last summer.

Last edited:
Dpms is part of the freedom group which sucks, they are running all the companies into the ground. Poorly supported projects etc. the gen 2 is a home run however they still aren't out there in stores as much as I think they should be. Worse yet they only offer 308, imagine a creed or 243

I've got just over 600 flawless rounds thru my G2 Recon 308 16"and it is by far the best semi 308(FAL,G3,M1A, BUSHMASTER BAR 10, ROCK RIVER LAR8, ARMALITE) I've owned yet. I don't know how they did it but I understand your not wanting a 16" 308. I owned for a while an armalite 16" carbine that was terrible to shoot. The G2 is a pleasure to shoot. I did add a nice seekins compensator, and was temped to get inline for a suppressor. It has had zero problems with several brands of ammo including my favorite reloads and is very accurate. They did have some early problems but any new production should be fine. Regards

1647.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Plant.One!

Steve; I would really like the 260 or a Creedmore myself. I read somewhere that DPMS is going to start offering G2 barrels this year so hopefully the 260, the 243, and the Creed may be just around the corner.

Kaz, I'm not so worried about recoil as I am the muzzle blast. How bad is your recon with the compensator? To me the blast from my 16" 223 is terrible, more so than my blackouts or my socom. I can only imagine the muzzle blast from the 16" 308 is much worse.

Like mine. It's got a AAC flash hider on it and the muzzle blast isn't bad at all. I'm sure a break is worse. I've got about 750 rounds of 175gr load brough mine

Last edited:
I've been waiting until I get a few more rounds downrange to see what it likes, but it is showing promise. I'll stick a scope with more mag soon. Muzzle blast has not been a problem, it is really fun to shoot. I do a fast drill using the low power on the patrol(1.2 X4) and it is easy to stay on the small targets (bottle caps)from about 20 yds out to 100.
1648.jpg

Last edited:
I got a new Recon about 3 weeks ago. Traded a Remington R 25 for it. Best I could shoot was about a 2" group at 100 with the Remington. DPMS light Hunter with the 20" barrel is the same rifle. At 300 yds I could not hit a sheet of Notebook paper. I noticed that the Recon had a very thick Bull barrel under the Floated Forearm that quickly tapered down to normal size. It seemed like it would shoot. I bought it and immediately noticed the Flash Suppressor was different and had threads for a Sound Suppressor. A trip to the Range revealed it did not shoot light bullets very well and it is not stamped 308. It is stamped 7.62. These are not the same. The 7.62 has a longer throat so it was no surprise it did not like the 125gr Sierras I like to shoot. I loaded some Hornaday 168gr BTHP Match and got much better results. These bullets shot about an 1" group at 100. I could hit a sheet of Notebook paper at 300 but the shots were scattered. I then loaded some Hornaday AMax 168s and it all came together. All shots at 100 touched and about a 5 or 6" group at 450 which is as far as I can shoot at this range. I highly recommend the Recon G2. The Light Hunter with the 20" barrel we shot was the same as the Remington R 25. These Rifles seemed to string badly after about the second shot. In my opinion not accurate enough for Hunting over a Hundred yds. By the way I loaded 42.5 grs RX 15 with the Hornaday 168gr Amax bullets seating them just short enough to fit the Magazine.

Originally Posted By: realtree hunterYour loading them 3+ inches in the magazine?
That's my ogive measurement with my comparator they are 2.79 or pretty close I think. Haven't measured one base to point since my load developement

Last edited:
Daddyflea, you are the first person that I have heard say anything negative about the accuracy of these rifles. Makes sense though now that DPMS is in Huntsville at the Remington plant that they would be a Remington barrel and not a DPMS barrel. Maybe I should be looking for a MN made rifle instead of a AL made rifle?

What is the twist rate on the Recons? I had hoped to shoot 125 to 155 grain bullets.

Yep I have owned R 25 on both 243 and 308. Shot Remington cor-lok factory ammo 3/4 groups. I have always heard the R-25 were great shooters. Hope Remington is not messing them up. I was thinking about buying another one. Now wish I had not sold them a couple years ago. Made money on them during the last big scare but now it sounds like the barrels are not that good now ? Martyd

I've had one for about a month, but I haven't had the chance to get out and shoot.

I went from a DPMS AP4 (gen 1) to the G2 AP4. My reasoning was to go the cheapest route since I'll be rebarreling to a custom barrel as soon as barrel extensions become available.

I pretty much tore it down and started from scratch.
Upper:
SLR Ion Ultra Lite 15" Keymod
SLR .750" Titanium set screw adjustable gas block
It's still wearing the factory brake, but it'll be getting a Griffin QD device for the Alpha suppressor that's in jail!
Leupold VX6 2-12X42 w/illuminated reticle
Lower:
Magpul STR w/enhanced butt pad and new buffer tube (mil spec)
Hogue grip
Geissele High Speed DMR trigger

Gun feels amazing and is a huge improvement over the Gen 1's. Just hope it shoots as well as my old AP4!

http://rs247.pbsrc.com/albums/gg124/jaso...80&fit=clip

Last edited:
No longer under freedom group. Recently purchased from freedom by private investors. Now under Remington Outdoor Companies. Not publicly traded.

Dang, the handguard swap really changed the appearance of the ap4. I had read somewhere that replacement barrels will be available some time this year but haven't heard when.

Back