Lyman Spar-T Press

Harmzy

Hi,
I have an old Lyman Spar-T press and was wondering if they have a good reputation for reloading 223/22-250 ammo. I don't reload but would like to start and was unsure if this press would be satisfactory for my needs. Any information would be a help.
Thanks,
Harmzy

Here is a link to a similar press:

Lyman Spar-T Press

Last edited:
As long as it functions you should have no problem. My grandpa gave me a really old and heavy Herters press and it works just as good as my new RCBS just doesn't look as good.

Last edited:
I have the same press, the spar T is a good one. Its a out 40yrs old and still loads really accurate ammo. I like the 6 hole turret. I leave 2 sets of dies mounted. I have the primer attatchment but dont use it, i prefer to hand prime.

The ole' ST. I just swore off Lyman this past week because of my ST press. I have had one for a while. The linkage pin and block wore out and needed to be replaced. Causing major issues with seating and sizing. Called them and I asked if I could send it in and they could look at it for repair They told me they didn't make parts anymore and wouldn't be able to help me at all. My reply was so your telling me your products dont' have a life time warranty repair policy like every other reloading company and they said basically yes. I was able to weld a pin in and have it working currently but as soon as my forster comes in i'm done with it. they wouldn't even offer a partial credit if i sent it in and bought a new one!

Glad I found this thread. I have one of these my dad bought in a yard sale years back.

I have used it to load hundreds of rounds. My problem with the press is:

1. I don't have a primer catcher for it.

2. The handle won't stay in an upright position i.e. if I take my hand off of the handle the ram raises to the top - touches the die - and the handle falls all the way down.

I have to use a small bungie cord to keep it in position when not in use. This is very irritating. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

It is a good press, but it does not have compound leverage. You will be fine with .223 and .22-250. They work great for loading handgun ammo.

Originally Posted By: rookie7Glad I found this thread. I have one of these my dad bought in a yard sale years back.

I have used it to load hundreds of rounds. My problem with the press is:

1. I don't have a primer catcher for it.

2. The handle won't stay in an upright position i.e. if I take my hand off of the handle the ram raises to the top - touches the die - and the handle falls all the way down.

I have to use a small bungie cord to keep it in position when not in use. This is very irritating. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

Old post I know, but I just wanted to say that I have the same problem with my handle not wanting to stay upright. I Googled it and found that you can put a Bellville or Wave Washer on the arm/press pivot pin.

Back