We saw 7 coyotes today! I called in 5 of them!!

Seebass

Our first stand was facing west with a SSW wind at 515am. I started with Vole Squeeks for 3 minutes and the switched to Caggie Cottontail. At 7 minutes we had a single come over a hill from the west 500 yards away. As it was walking in a second came over the same spot 100 yards behind the first! At 350 yards the first coyote begins to run to the south swinging around moving down wind. The second stopped and sat down where the first broke south. We couldn't get a shot as the first circled behind a hill and got down wind. Right about that time the second turned and ran back to the west!

I was left in awe of this pairs teamwork!! Especially the smarts of the first to stay out past 250 yards while circling!! No shot but still an exciting stand!

Our 2nd stand was a blank. On our way to our 3rd stand we jumped a pair of coyotes in a grove of oaks 50 yards in front of us! One ran to our left out if sight while the second stopped broadside at 150ish yards. My friend took an off hand shot but missed. Our 3rd stand was a blank.

Our 4th stand was one of the best I've had in a couple of years! We set up on a hill facing south in the shade with the caller out and below us 50 yards. I started with Bay Bee cottontail and at 4 minutes we spot a triple coming in from 800 yards!! The 3 trotted in single file before "going on the offensive" and fanning out at 300 yards! It was awesome! I leaned over and told my buddy, " these look like they've never heard a caller before!" This female was the aggressive one leading the charge from the middle! She dove under the fence at 200 yards before stopping broadside at 150 yards...DRT!

We made 2 more blank stands before getting back to the truck at 11am.

It was a great day in the field today! I called in 5 of the 7 we saw this morning. I managed 1 while still giving my buddy a couple of opportunities.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Back