DIY Night Vision

patncor

I dont know who came up with this idea but those folks in the UK have really got the ball rolling on DIY night vision. A viable NV setup for 100-200+ bucks of coarse you can spend more but these rigs are very easy to build.
Check this out
also NightVisionUK.
E700 camera $25-100, backup monitor $25-40, T20 IR torch $50-80.

6mm06 Nice vids, what model components did you end up using? and your cost. What do you have for a DVR. I am just now cruising the web for best price on E700board cam or EJ230 bullet cam also plan on putting together a spotter.

Patncor,

I am using the EJ-230 bullet camera. It has worked well for me. I started out with Roland's suggestion about using a 12mm lens. Then, he found the 16mm Ebay lens and I tried that one. It is much better, gathers light better and adds a little bit of zoom to the view.

Here is the lens test at 60 yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruHRDfUlWNs&feature=youtu.be

I used the original 4.3" LCD monitor and still have that one, but if I were to do it again I would probably use the 5" monitor. All other parts were the same that Roland used except I mount my IR illuminator onto the scope via a picatinny mount that fits the scope, whereas Roland mounted his illuminator on the rail itself.

The cost of putting together the unit for shooting use, if you use the 16mm lens, is somewhere around $230, but that does not include an illuminator. I am using the LLTL-001 illuminator at the moment, but I also have a T-20 on order from Ebay that has three power level settings; 15%, 50% and 100%. I should have it in a few days. If used only as a spotter, your cost should be less.

This is the DVR I am using. It has it's own audio recording.

http://hobbywireless.com/recorders-stora...reen-p-772.html

Thanks for the info on your build 6mm06 Do you know if there is more interest here in the US as it seems at price point and DIY ability it would be a slam dunk for a entry level system.

Shhhh.... DIY night vision is the worst idea in the world. No one should even attempt it; its that bad!
cool.gif

I know we're just trying to help each other out, so as long as you're not in SE Nebraska, it's a pretty cool idea. I made a handheld spotter and had more success with it last weekend than what I've had in a year hunting with a red light.

Based on some of the discussions (and SkyPup's excellent description of the physiology), the coyotes shouldn't see the red light, but it just isn't working for me. I have coyotes close, even seen fresh tracks in the snow, but can't get them in. I'm not so sure it doesn't involve the motion of scanning a red light fast vs a slow methodical search with the IR camera, but that is pure speculation and could be tested.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: patncorThanks for the info on your build 6mm06 Do you know if there is more interest here in the US as it seems at price point and DIY ability it would be a slam dunk for a entry level system.

Seems that there is quite a bit of interest on Roland's YouTube post about the 1.0 version (Rolaids NV 1.0). A lot of guys were questioning it, pages worth. Roland did a fine job with that. Not sure how many of them may have actually gone through with it. There seems to be considerably more interest in the UK with things of this nature than here in the US. But, having said that, I noticed on Sportsman's Guide a unit that is very similar to this one, so maybe it is catching on more.

Here is the Sportsman's Guide version. Notice the cost. I'm not sure how you are supposed to see with this unit by looking at the photo, but I assume it will have an LCD monitor that isn't in the photo.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nyte-vu-digital-night-vision-1-scope-converter?a=606316

I can tell you one thing for sure - the unit is easy to assemble and it flat out works at a bait site, where I consider to be the best use of it. I have, however; taken a fox that was out in a field at about 125 yards.

I also have considered purchasing another camera and monitor to turn into a scanner. That outfit would be even cheaper to assemble. I had thought of perhaps using a pistol grip of some sort, and mount the bullet camera and LCD monitor to that for scanning.

Either way, it's fun to play around with. I consider it a serious "tinkering" tool or do-it-yourself project, but one that actually works well. I have shot four coyotes while using this unit, and some fox. One gray fox was about 125 yards - easy kill.

Also, in the first post I made above with the two videos, the top video shows a possum at 60 yards. That video was taken with the 12mm lens. The gray fox that was next in the video was with the 16mm lens. Quite a bit of difference. If you do this project, my advice is to get the 16mm Ebay lens. It's well worth it.

Also important is to use a daytime scope with parallax adjustment, and use a scope with the adjustment on the objective end (front end) of the scope, and not a side focus. The side focus knob will get in the way of mounting the picatinny rail.

There are other variations of this same principal, such as fixing a camera into a PVC coupling and attaching it directly to the scope ocular, thereby negating the need for the long picatinny rail. The only problem I see with that is being able to focus the lens properly when hunting since it will be up inside the PVC connector.

These are 3 different coyotes

The home-made unit is capable of some good accuracy.

Can anyone recomend a good dark screen for a diy nightvision setup ?

The screen i have now is so bright it lights my face and the whole area around me !!

Foxy, the two monitors I have will adjust for brightness. It can be dimmed. But also, some guys use a red filter over the screen to dampen the light.

I like the TNVC mini DVR with a sheet of red filter paper over it from your local hobby store. Nice, small package and then you can power your camera with a 9v battery.

Back