DPMS .204 uppers

crazyyote

Get out those wallets!!! Joe Bob's has DPMS uppers in .204 Ruger on clearance for $500.00 Looks like a great deal.Oops, AR thread??? Sorry

Last edited:
My concern was COL limits in the AR-15, for the 204 Ruger cartridge. Anyone have a comment on that?

I have a switch barrel thing going between a 204 Ruger(factory) and a 260 Rem.(custom) in a Savage 16, that I would love to keep in the 260 Rem., but I miss having a 204 Ruger, when I go to WY. If I wouldn't have just purchased a Browning Buckmark, in a pricey model, I would have considered the 204 Ruger upper. I did see some concerning reviews of the accuracy in the DPMS 204 Ruger uppers, but load development may have helped that. After the less than stellar accuracy in a DPMS LR-308, I bought as a project rifle, I am a little DPMS shy at the moment. The "flyer" issue called out in the review, sure sounded like my LR-308.
unsure.gif

Squeeze

i have one of these already. have for a couple years now

with factory 32gr vmax its about 3/4 moa out to 200 yds.

with handloads it'll shoot 32gr vmax under half MOA at 100 yds. and that was with the old 3-9x40 vxI on it.

i have no accuracy issues with mine, or feed issues for that matter. its been fantastic for me when loading to book OAL's.

i never was able to get my factory (16") LR308 down below ½ MOA, but have multiple loads for it that'll shoot into the upper 0.6xx" group size @ 100yds. just frustrating when i've been able to shoot basically every other gun i own down under ½" with handloads. i built a match barreled 20" upper last summer for it, but didnt get to finish any of the load developement due to running out of summertime because work got busy. now that we're finally into the 70's here again... its time to get back out and put holes in paper and finish that project off
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyyoteGet out those wallets!!! Joe Bob's has DPMS uppers in .204 Ruger on clearance for $500.00 Looks like a great deal.Oops, AR thread??? Sorry

The DPMS 204 24" Complete Uppers are a limited time offer and we won't be able to get them again in the future. They were a closeout deal we jumped on and thus we are able to offer a really nice price on those uppers. We will most likely sell out within the next few days based on the current sell-through.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeMy concern was COL limits in the AR-15, for the 204 Ruger cartridge. Anyone have a comment on that?

I'm far from an expert on .204 Ruger AR15's, however, as I understand it most people don't have problems. Those who do, typically have an issue are using polymer magazines and switching over to a metal magazine resolves the issue.

I have one and as stated before, mine functions and shoots fine. No issues what so ever. I mainly shoot 32 v-max and it shoots those a little less than an inch but it really liked a buddy's 35 Berger's. I wouldn't be afraid to buy one.

I have a 204 AR and have built 5 and never had any issues as long as you use the right mags but mine are not DPMS so can't help there.

I would spend a few more dollar's and build one with a tighter twist barrel so you can shoot heavier bullets. The 40 grain Vmax is an awesome bullet that most 1-12's won't shoot well.

Originally Posted By: bryan hI have a 204 AR and have built 5 and never had any issues as long as you use the right mags but mine are not DPMS so can't help there.

yup, the shoulder is too far forward for a PMAG, but there's pleanty of options out there.

if you file a section of the internal rib out of a pmag they work fine but i've never bothered because it makes magazine segregation easy. and IIRC lancer mags work too.

i leave my pmags for blackout and 223, and put my 204's in the GI style stainless mags, except for my 5 round hunting mags which kinds float between them all as needed.

i received mine and filed down 20 round pmag and have no issues. excellent price on a great upper. only thing i forgot was my free t-shirt.

Last edited:
how do you like it i was looking at there 308 243 it did not seem like it was way out there but does it shoot well what is your grouping at 100yrs

I started the AR world with the dpms204 rifle. I was using varget and reloader 10x. It was a better than 1/2moa rifle for everything that I shot it. I shot 35gr Bergers and the 32gr Hornady. If it wasn't for the wind in Arizona always blowing is still have it

EDIT: These uppers are now sold out again. We have no more on hand and won't be receiving any more at this price

FYI, we had a customer from Winfield Kansas(Who is also a PredatorMasters member.....) order (2) of these uppers and never paid for them after 2 months. After numerous voicemails and email attempts to reach him we canceled his order. That's not the most respectful way to act but unfortunately it is what it is. We have (2) of these available at this time at the same price of $499.95, for any of the guys who missed them on the first go-around:

DPMS 204 Ruger Upper with 24" Barrel
$499.95 w/ Free Shipping

EDIT: These uppers are now sold out again. We have no more on hand and won't be receiving any more at this price

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SqueezeMy concern was COL limits in the AR-15, for the 204 Ruger cartridge. Anyone have a comment on that?

I don't have any experience with DPMS, but I do have a Remington R15 in .204. I wasn't satisfied with groups using factory Hornady 32gr vmax, so I started handloading for it. Long story short, I went through a lot of different powders before I finally found 2 it liked since playing with COL wasn't really an option with the mag. I also tried 35gr Burgers with no luck. It's a sweet shooter, but took a long time to get it there. Settled on CFE 223 because of the velocity (9 shot ave. w/ my chrono was 3882) with a 22" barrel.

Rifle came with a Remington 5rd mag, but when going to higher capacity mags I also ran into the pmag issues and am currently using Lancer mags.

Back