243 or 6.5 creedmoore for coyotes

The Minge

Hey guys looking at getting a new rifle for coyote hunting. Currently have an American predator 223 that is a tack driver out to 440 yards. Am looking for a new rifle because on some shots may be out to 600-700 yards. And the wind really affects the .223 already. I am confident in my shot placement as I have access to a 1,000 yard range and shoot very often. I like the American Predtor for price, performance, and it won't bother me to drag around truck and brush. Am thinking of another American Predator just don't know if I should go with the .243 or 6.5 creedmoore. What do you fellas think? Any Experiance with either caliber or suggestions?

Jmho, .223 & .243 would be considered similar calibers. 243 figure you can go upwards to a 100gr. But the 6.5 would take upwards of 140gr. For your longer shots, both should do fine, but the 6.5....I think better! With good glass....

I have both a 6.5 Creed and a 243, and have killed coyotes with both. I also shoot LR with both. IMO the 243 is made for coyotes at extended distance. That would be my choice hands down.

I've been shooting coyotes for years with a 223 rock river. I converted to a tikka 243 for daytime. Although I still use my Rockriver AR for thermal hunting at night. There is no comparison with the 243 in daylight hours. The 243 will make you feel like you can't miss. That is my choice, (but I don't own a 6.5) the 223 and the 243 are not similar caliburs, the 243 is way more gun.

The 243, or some variation of it, has to be towards the top of the list of best coyote calibers out there.

Not real familiar with the Creedmoor. I am familiar enough to know that it does not trump the 243 for coyotes.

I think you should have all three! I hunt with a 243 for coyotes, and have full faith in shooting it to 6 to 700 yards with an 87 gr Vmax. The creedmor is awesome as well. But... For coyotes, 243 all day everyday!

The 87 VMAX is what I use as well. Really good BC for a varmint bullet. Last week I put a first round hit on a 2/3 IDPA at 685 yards, sitting, shooting off sticks. 12-13 mph crosswind. It will get the job done.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I believe I will go with the America Predator .243. Never had any Experiance with the .243 but won't take long to become familiar I am sure. Oh and FYI been hearing some cotes lately. Tagged 2 with my predator 223. One was morning 100yards from house (female). And the other was right cross the road at 250. Thank goodness I didn't put my shooting bench away and It was right infront of the house. Happy shooting guys and thanks again.

And you have to love being able to go online and get an array of factory ammo to try that costs $20 to $26 a box (sports guide), find what your rifle likes and buy a couple of hundred rounds and you have brass when you are done shooting that. I take it one step further and buy 200 rounds at a time, when I buy my next 200 I sell the once fired brass for half of what the next loaded ones cost.

Tugboater, have you tried any Sierra 85gr HPBTs? I just started loading some to try on deer. They are grouping really well pushed by IMR 4064.

Originally Posted By: Phil BoylesTugboater, have you tried any Sierra 85gr HPBTs? I just started loading some to try on deer. They are grouping really well pushed by IMR 4064.

To be honest with you I haven't tried anything on deer, just yotes. No experience with Sierra, but I did load development on the 87gr Berger VLD-hunting with IMR 4064... It was stupid acurate! I would think they would be good on whitetail, but once again I have no real experience.

I stayed with the V-Max because they are cheaper to load for and very acurate as well.

I love the 87gr V-max in my savage but I tried a few of the 100gr sierras I loaded up for the Daughters browning and they shoot great.
20160609_172717_zps4darvldm.jpg

Don't forget about the lighter bullets. 55 gr. Nosler BT, 58 Hornaday Vmax, 60 gr Sierra HP will all be really good bullets out to 5-600 yds, the only downside will be wind over 10 mph.

Folks if you can find a 9 twist 243 then try the 105 A-Max. I shoot a 6mm Rem and have used 65 V-Max with great success. I recently switched to the 105 for use in high power silhouette and have been blown away by its accuracy and reach. I intend to try this combo this fall on my trip to CO after my elk hunt. RL-19 has been the powder of choice for the 105.

Back