PVS 14 - Right or left eye?

1trkyhntr

I am right eye/hand dominate.
For you PVS 14/IR laser users, do you recommend placing the helmet mounted PVS 14 over your left eye or your right eye?
It just makes sense to me to put it over my right eye, but almost all of the photos that I see the user has it over the left.
Advantages/disadvantages?
This set up will be for use primarily with a shotgun equipped with an Eotech 552 with the LBC laser.
Also, do you recommend mounting an illuminator to the helmet and a second illuminator on the shotgun, or is one illuminator on the helmet enough.
When hunting with a buddy my plan is to be able to use the helmet mounted PVS to scan/shotgun kill while the second person scans with the FLIR.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

I used one for a while with the 14 on the left eye and never really noticed an issue. IR was on the helmet, but I could see it being useful on the shotgun. A Surefire Vampire would be a great light for that purpose.

Not sure what shotgun you are shooting, but I just picked up a pic rail saddle for my 11-87 that I am in love with. It's from Green Blob Out doors...has a rail on top, on the side and also an opening that you can still see the bead on the rib. I'm going to run a reflex sight and Tactacam on it once the sight shows up for some day time hunting video. I could see that working fantastically well with an IR laser on the top rail and the IR in a QD mount of the side rail. Actually I'm rained in today so I'll stick them on there real quick and upload a pic to show what I'm trying to say.

Link for the rail saddle: http://www.greenbloboutdoors.com/buy-one...otguns/10722281

I just stuck a LaserMax Uni IR on there real quick and that is the Surefire with KM3 head and QD mount. I'd imagine that would work real well for shotgun distance. If not familiar with it, you can turn the head on that light for real bright white light or turn it to the 2nd position for IR light...very useful little tool.

image_14.jpeg

image_13.jpeg

image_12.jpeg

image_11.jpeg

Then spend $70 on this Mobius Action Camera and $10 on the 16mm IR filter lens. Do the lens swap and refocus the camera, mount it on there and you'll have some awesome kill video footage. (Credit for that part of the setup goes to Spartan1). I just put mine together and only had it on one hunt. Running it with my bigger IR light, I picked up deer at 125 yards pretty well. I'm running it on a D730, just velcro on the top turret of the scope holds it pretty well. Pretty sure there are quite a few mounts for it, possibly even a pic rail mount. I'd imagine if you centered it with your short range IR light and laser you would have fantastic up close bullet impact footage. Actually it makes me wish I still had a PVS14 to run it and try it like that!

image_15.jpeg

Update to what I posted earlier...some other guys have stated that the LED IR lights won't withstand shotgun recoil. Didn't intend to give bad info, just some ideas on set up. To run IR on the gun you may have to go mil-spec and/or more $ route.

NoName,
Thanks for taking your time to to respond to me. It was time consuming on your part and I appreciate it.
I'm still hoping someone will offer some input on whether it is better to position the PVS 14 over my right (shooting) eye or my left eye.
These has been some discussion on another forum about it but they are talking about combat situations. My application will be predator hunting at night. I

1trkyhntr

Normally at Night Goggles, we recommend folks run a helmet mounted monocle such as a PVS-14 on their non dominant eye for a few reasons.

With your dominant eye unaided you can still draw and fire a handgun with night sights or cheek your rifle and look through your optic as normal allowing the use of both in an emergency situation. You are dark adapted with your primary eye so you can also ready changing light conditions and see shadows in the darkness.
You can quickly use a white light as well.

To reemphasize, I am going to use a helmet mounted PVS 14 and a weapon mounted laser for predator hunting. Not combat, not law enforcement. I cannot imagine the need to be able to draw a handgun or use day optics in an emergency situation.

With IR laser on rifle, use PVS-14 over left non-dominant eye, point and shoot.

With NV compatible Eotech, Aimpoint, ACOG, Elcan, etc. use PVS-14 on right eye to look though NV optic, which is much more difficult but doable.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I got a related question. What do you guys think about using a thermal monocular with a thermal scope? I was thinking of mounting my monocular to my right eye, since I'm right eye dominant, and to be able to keep my left eye unaffected by night blindness (looking into bright screen in the dark, affecting natural night vision). I've heard others say it's best to put it over your non dominant eye. I understand when using regular optics or a laser why you would want it over your non dominant eye but it seems like in my case it would be better on the right? What do you guys think?

I use my helmet mounted thermal over my non-dominant eye and shoot my TWS with my dominant right eye, you will not be able to look through your TWS with your thermal over your right eye.

Even if I fold my monocular up to my helmet? I imagine I would have to do the same with the left eye too if I want to be able to look through the scope. And how do you look through with your non dominant eye, just close your right eye?

You will have to try it out to see if you can do what you are talking about, I use a Nortoros INVG mount so I can swing it out to the left side to allow for proper cheek weld shooting the TWS with my right dominant eye, just folding it up doesn't work.

OK now I get it... I just got my helmet today and you were exactly right. It's pretty hard to get a proper cheek weld with it on the right eye, even when folded up and folded to the side. Guess it's left eye or nothing. Now my problem is my monocular smashes into my face and I'm out of forward adjustment.

I actually got it fixed. I had to reverse the adapter on the folding arm and it gives me just barely enough clearance. It's a little bit close for my liking, but it works fine.

Back