AR barrel out of round shape

dan158

I dropped my loads way down and I am still getting marks on my brass.. If drop any more I will be under the min load.. I was looking at my barrel today with the protector off and my barrel looks out of round.. Also that ring right outside the bore is out of round..

IMG_20160601_182648382_HDR_zpsyek35do6.jpg

I think I'd be wrapping that around someone's neck. Whoever did the machine work on that should never be able to touch another lathe as long as they live. Maybe break his fingers for good measures. I've threaded quite a few Remington barrels that I thought were pretty bad, but not that bad after all.

Let us know what happens.

That barrel likely started out as a long blank and was incorrectly turned to profile. They probably turned it to profile between centers at full length and then cut it off to the finish length. That bore is likely out of spec for straightness but all barrels have some wiggle to them and will be off of center a little when you cut them down. IMO someone should have tossed yours barrel, at least by the looks of your pic.

That is a JP Super match cryogenically treated barrel .... I never noticed till the other day.. Like I said I built this rifle back in 2014 and this was the first year shooting it..

I got it shooting really good with 39 gr sierras at just a little over 3600..

Last edited:
I'd e-mail that pic to John Paul and ask him if he would mind if you posted it on facebook gun pages and other blogs....

Originally Posted By: dan158That is a JP Super match cryogenically treated barrel .... I never noticed till the other day.. Like I said I built this rifle back in 2014 and this was the first year shooting it..

I got it shooting really good with 39 gr sierras at just a little over 3600..

Back