Reloading Bench Setup Question/Help

TheBig1

Ok, so I got everything put together as far as buying the necessary equipment. No the help that I need is how to set it up to be an efficient reloading system.

Here is a picture of my bench to help. I do have a powder dispenser too, so where would I mount that also?

The bottom line is, how would YOU set it up?

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20160606_141738_zpsfusijo2r.jpg.html]
20160606_141738_zpsfusijo2r.jpg

Step 1 - GET YOUR COMPONENT STORAGE OFF OF YOUR BENCH!!!! You're just asking for trouble by having your powder storage on your bench. One powder on the bench at a time - and keep it on the bench as you're loading from it. I've looked up a couple times and realized a couple hundred rounds into a 2,000 round batch I had the wrong powder. Catastrophe averted. Same deal with primers - don't store them on the bench, and keep them near your priming area until you're done loading. Doing so will let you mentally check, and recheck, and recheck, and recheck your load & components as you go through a batch.

Having all of your dies and gear on the bench top just clutters your bench. You have a lot of real estate, but none of it is usable right now. Get all of that crap off of the bench and onto shelves then you'll have a usable bench. Use the drawers for storage, or add shelves above it on the wall. The only thing I want on my bench is my load sheet, my powder and primer in use, and two working trays to move through each step.

The rest is just preferential set up. I do not like having presses on the corner of my bench, when I can avoid it, so I can move my cases from a tray on the left side to a tray on the right sight as they complete a step. For a progressive, that isn't as important as it is for a turret or single stage.

Here's a pic of one my old benches which was set up somewhat similarly to yours - limited space, flat top. My current benches are more purpose designed, a heavy top bench SEPARATE FROM MY LOADING BENCH for my powder dispenser and scale to keep the loading process from rattling the scale. Beside my powder bench, my main loading bench is a rolling tool chest/bench with a custom purpose built table top. Along one side, it has the Lee single stage as a decapper, with the Lee Turret beside it, and a Lee Pro 1000, usually set up for 223rem or 44mag. I do my precision loading on the other side of my main bench - what I call my "bench bench), which holds a pair of Forster Co-Ax's and a Redding T-7 currently (kinda wanna replace the Redding with a Hornady ammo plant or Dillon progressive. The case trimming and deburr/chamfer machine are on the main side of my main bench. I have a 21st Century neck turning lathe and a hornady concentricity gauge set up on my "bench bench" (for benchrest loading bench).

This smaller bench is a 2ft x 2ft particle board top, mounted to a Black & Decker Workmate. Worked great for many years, and loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds. I also still use this one occasionally, since it's portable and lets me load at the range (private) for load development.

IMG_4082_zpszkjr5uiq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Varmint. Everything's only on the desk because I just unpacked it and haven’t put it away yet.

Oh btw, I'll take that T-7 when you're ready to get rid of it.

Chad

2nd the nearby separate bench for scales,powder measure. I keep components on shelves and always label my powder measure with masking tape with what powder is in it( with charge weight).

one word of advice - and this was shared the other day in another reloading thread - if you're a new reloader, its helpful to document your reloading process.

having a consistent process to go through is very important for reloading, and sticking to it is one of the biggest safety things you can do for yourself.

type up a document, print it up and hang it on the wall at your bench. it may help make sure you're not forgetting something that may be critical to safety.

also, depending on how many calibers you're doing, if you're like me you may do things in stages as time allows. i find that keeping your brass in bags while you're working on it with a small cheat-sheet in there with what you've already done to it can be very helpful.

i made up this on a 10 per sheet business card template that i use for that purpose & cut them down for use. i've intentionally left inspection steps off these little cards as these are just quick cheater notes that i can cross stuff off after i've done it - but its a good basic guide. also note there's nothing caliber specific here like "trim to 1.750" and not all the steps apply to all types of loads - ie: i dont neck expand for jacketed bullets so i just cross that off for that batch.

d34f2214b6b64745b01f99e200fb95b4.jpeg

hopefully you might find this useful. here's a link to the full printable PDF.

https://goo.gl/rp5v7J

If you plan on weighing every charge like I do you want your scale near eye level. I built a step made out of a discarded oak step and my powder measure is mounted on that to the right of my RCBS 1010 scale. My press is mounted on the bench to my left which leaves room for brass trays. I resize and prime in one step however many rounds I plan to load. Then I throw powder and seat the bullet in the next step. However you plan to do it do only one step at a time, keep the tv off and no phones nearby and NO distractions. Check, recheck and recheck again. It only takes one mistake to ruin a gun or your face. Be safe and organized and develope a rhythm for consistency.

Thanks yet again fellas, great information. Plant, I plan on using that form, thank you.

Slim, thanks for the idea of the platform, I may just do that.

TheBig1, some things to think about

*swing the press around to the side, this way you will probably be able to use the top 2 drawers on the right

*lights, you can't have enough good light

hard to describe How much very bright WHITE light is put out by this fixture, no kidding

*I like to stand up and reload, maybe sit on a tall stool.
good bench top height is 30-31"
Put cinder blocks under the legs to an approximate height you like

*use cinder blocks on top of the desk and put 12" shelf on each, a cinder block is approximately 14 long, use the thinner cinder blocks for the top, wide ones on their sides for the legs on the bottom. This is kinda crude, but you can get it done cheaply and quickly. All kinds of options are open if you have carpenter tools and skills.

*create two shelves under the desk with cinder blocks

*mount your powder scale at eye level, with the powder measure 2' to the left of the powder scale

I have made these observations with guys that I have helped over the years

*don't drink and reload at the same time, the more alcohol you consume, the more powder you like to put in a load

*don't drink beer and reload with friends over, recipe for disaster

*write down everything, you will probably remember nothing later on. It is very important to have a note book and write down your loads, and your thoughts of what may have been going on as you shoot at the range. Your failures will be as important as your successes.

*I use large index cards to write my loads down on, write my notes, thoughts, and "try next" on the back of the cards, staple, glue these in your note book. Targets that fit in a note book with notes wrote on the targets will increase their learning exponentially. Over time, these targets and notes may help diagnose a bedding or scope issue.

*double check your cases in the reloading block to make sure they all have powder

*I opt to not use any powder that I can double charge a case with

*only have one can of powder on your bench top at a time, the one that you are weighing charges with

*as you de burr and chamfer cases, small chards of brass shavings will be on the floor. If you do not want these little curls of brass getting in your feet or your children's feet, preform this task well over your bench top, and clean up immediately when finished. A 2" paint brush is great to hang around along with a parts cleaning brush to keep bench top clean. I hang these on the side of the shelving with eye hooks

*RCBS presses get primers all over the floor when cases are de-primed and primed with that priming tool on the press. Things get real exciting when your wife vacuums up large rifle and pistol primers in the vacuum. Better sweep or vacuum up those yourself. Tell her to not throw this floor sweeping in the fire place.

*You will need a bucket or can to throw culls or damaged shells in. I would not put these in the trash where the trash man could have a primer or shell go off while compressing the trash in the trash truck. You can dismantle the shells at one point, don't drink beer when you are doing this, either.

*It will be very important for you to get an OGIVE gauge(Davidson or Hornady), calipers, and you will want a cheap micrometer eventually.

*along with a good reloading area, you will want a good cleaning station for your rifles, and an organized area to clean your rifles. Reloading usually means you will be shooting more, a rifle caddy helps.

Good luck!

Here's an updated picture of my bench after I put everything away and began to organize. I haven’t mounted anything yet though.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20160606_184528_zpswxhtwb91.jpg.html]
20160606_184528_zpswxhtwb91.jpg

This is a fantastic investment. You can put it in the living room or kitchen it runs so quiet. Mine has been in use since 1990.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/717904/thumlers-tumbler-ultra-vibe-case-tumbler-110-volt?cm_mmc=pf_ci_ebay-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Presses)-_-Thumler's-_-717904&sdc_id=eBay

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ackleymanThis is a fantastic investment. You can put it in the living room or kitchen it runs so quiet. Mine has been in use since 1990.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/717904/thumlers-tumbler-ultra-vibe-case-tumbler-110-volt?cm_mmc=pf_ci_ebay-_-Reloading%20-%20Metallic%20Reloading%20Equipment%20(Not%20Presses)-_-Thumler's-_-717904&sdc_id=eBay

I won one at the USPSA Nationals in 1986 in Phoenix.It is still running strong. Very quiet.

Greg

Originally Posted By: TheBig1Here's an updated picture of my bench after I put everything away and began to organize. I haven’t mounted anything yet though.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/cstrickland4/media/20160606_184528_zpswxhtwb91.jpg.html]
20160606_184528_zpswxhtwb91.jpg

That will work out well. I remember when I had two sets of dies....LOL May 1975 IIRC

Greg

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorStep 1 - GET YOUR COMPONENT STORAGE OFF OF YOUR BENCH!!!! You're just asking for trouble by having your powder storage on your bench. One powder on the bench at a time - and keep it on the bench as you're loading from it. I've looked up a couple times and realized a couple hundred rounds into a 2,000 round batch I had the wrong powder. Catastrophe averted. Same deal with primers - don't store them on the bench, and keep them near your priming area until you're done loading. Doing so will let you mentally check, and recheck, and recheck, and recheck your load & components as you go through a batch.

Having all of your dies and gear on the bench top just clutters your bench. You have a lot of real estate, but none of it is usable right now. Get all of that crap off of the bench and onto shelves then you'll have a usable bench. Use the drawers for storage, or add shelves above it on the wall. The only thing I want on my bench is my load sheet, my powder and primer in use, and two working trays to move through each step.

The rest is just preferential set up. I do not like having presses on the corner of my bench, when I can avoid it, so I can move my cases from a tray on the left side to a tray on the right sight as they complete a step. For a progressive, that isn't as important as it is for a turret or single stage.

Here's a pic of one my old benches which was set up somewhat similarly to yours - limited space, flat top. My current benches are more purpose designed, a heavy top bench SEPARATE FROM MY LOADING BENCH for my powder dispenser and scale to keep the loading process from rattling the scale. Beside my powder bench, my main loading bench is a rolling tool chest/bench with a custom purpose built table top. Along one side, it has the Lee single stage as a decapper, with the Lee Turret beside it, and a Lee Pro 1000, usually set up for 223rem or 44mag. I do my precision loading on the other side of my main bench - what I call my "bench bench), which holds a pair of Forster Co-Ax's and a Redding T-7 currently (kinda wanna replace the Redding with a Hornady ammo plant or Dillon progressive. The case trimming and deburr/chamfer machine are on the main side of my main bench. I have a 21st Century neck turning lathe and a hornady concentricity gauge set up on my "bench bench" (for benchrest loading bench).

This smaller bench is a 2ft x 2ft particle board top, mounted to a Black & Decker Workmate. Worked great for many years, and loaded thousands upon thousands of rounds. I also still use this one occasionally, since it's portable and lets me load at the range (private) for load development.

IMG_4082_zpszkjr5uiq.jpg

VT:
How old is the Lee single stage. I have one from an "anniversary starter kit" vintage late 90's that I'm setting up now. Any info or tips on it would be nice. Sorry for the jack.

Originally Posted By: jpx2rk
Varminterror said:
Step 1 - GET YOUR COMPONENT STORAGE OFF OF YOUR BENCH!!!! You're just asking for trouble by having your powder storage on your bench. One powder on the bench at a time - and keep it on the bench as you're loading from it

I agree 100%.
If you get all of the useless stuff off the bench it will leave you a lot more room for beer.

Back