Oversized Barrel Nut???

gene10pntr

I recently bought a barrel from E.A.Brown Co.that was on sale. It's the 24in. SS fluted one. Any way went to put a regular barrel nut on and the back of the barrel is too large. I called them and they said only a Hogue handguard would work with it. Told them I wanted to use a different guard and they said I could send the barrel back and that was about it. They didn't know of any body making a standard oversized nut so I'm going to take some out with a lathe...don't think it will need much removed to slide on over the barrel. Will this still be safe to use if torqued to the receiver? It's a .223 by the way.

I'm not tracking - what part isn't fitting together?

I THINK you're saying the barrel extension fits into your receiver, but the barrel nut will not slide down all the way over the barrel itself to touch the extension flange.

Is that what you're experiencing?

if you go to the website they clearly say that due to the diameter of their "standard" bull barrel being 1.050" at the chamber its not compatible with a standard barrel nut.

assuming of course i have the correct part here

http://www.eabco.net/AR-15-Bull-Barrel-2...el_p_14662.html

Quote:Technical Information:

Length: 24"
Material: 416R Stainless Steel
Airgauged: +/- 0002" (2/10,0000ths)
Contour: Fluted Bull
Chamber: 223 Rem (Wylde) for 5.56 NATO/.223 Rem
Twist Rate: 1 in 9"
Chrome Lined: No
Finish: Stainless
M4 Feed Ramps: Yes
Muzzle Treatment: 11° Target Crown
Gas Port Location: Rifle
Exterior Diameter at Gas Port: 0.936"
Oversized Nut required for 1.050 Std Bull Barrel (not included, but Hogue handrail #787-15034 fits)

so it appears that its based on the barrel diameter, and not that of the receiver extension that's causing the issue.

If it's the barrel diameter which is too large, and you want to use a standard barrel nut, AND you have access to a lathe, just turn out the ID a bit.

Back