Thinking About Getting Into Reloading: Questions

Here's my setup and, no, it's not mounted to the ATV. It's even been to the range! Powder and primers are kept on the main floor of the house.

I've moved too many times to make a dedicated room.

My buddy made this one for me, but Todd Kindler sells an "Amish made" stand for about $75. There's a lot of pics on Google.

P.S. A lot of times my reloading is done in the house on the counter. It's been nice, so I prime and charge cases indoors, then head to the garage for seating.

Portable reloading is great to reload right at the rifle range, work up loads very fast. It is best to carry prepped cases ready to loads. FUll Length sizing on a portable set up is impossible, this the weak link in this kind of set up.

This is a Milk Crate from 1966 with a piece of plywood on top, two partner presses, one for seating bullets and the other for neck sizing, and the Harrells powder measure that is unreal accurate and repeatable.

I have small battery powered electronic scale that I can weigh a powder charge when I want to weigh the magic load.

Most benchrest shooters have a set up like these to one degree or another. I sit on my shooting stool, spin around where this unit is sitting on another stool right behind me, quick and easy to work up loads.

Last edited:
Depends on the Set up

Ok, say I am going to take my 7 mag to the range and work up loads. I go to full length size, what holds your box down? If you C Clamp the front, that will not stop the back end of the box from tipping up on you from the force required to size down a case that has some serious expansion.

I have extra Rock Chuckers that I took to the range, finally made an outfit to fit in the receiver hitch of my pickup. I also mounted the Rock Chucker on the front edge of a 2x8, then laid the 2x8 on the bench top, with a clamp on the front edge of the bench, rock chucker on the back of the bench, that worked well but the whole thing is cumbersome and unwieldy. Easier to just prep the cases at home.

Neck sizing is easy, and I have an arbor press for Wilson dies also.

Hmmmm...never had a problem...never clamp down either. The sides of my box are angled. It's not a perfect box. Maybe that's the trick.

Back