Thoughts on Ruger American Predator/6.5CM

I loosened the stock screws and pushed the stock away from the barrel, then while holding pressure against them tightened the rear first then the front screws. It stayed away far enough to free float for now. Tried all afternoon to get hold of Boyd's but had no luck. Try again next week.

I really like everything about the Ruger American Predator. I've been debating on getting one in either .243 or 6.5 Creedmoor. I got to handle one at the local Cabela's and I just couldn't get passed the bolt. Having only ever used Remington 700s and a Model 7 in bolt action platforms, it just had a very different feel than what I was used to, like it was too free or something. I like all the features, the reports on accuracy are hard to ignore especially for the price.

I actually kind of like the bolt. A 70 degree bolt throw and three locking lugs and he11 for stout bolt, should be a winner. I was going to get a Boyd's stock but the MDT LSS chassis system is looking mighty tempting.

My only experience with a Ruger American is one that belongs to a friend. He brought it out to my place back in March to sight in.
He used a cheap Herter's 150 gr. factory load. The clean-cut round holes are due to the type of bullets in the Herter's. They have
a wadcutter type bullet. My shooting range is 94 yards along a path in the woods behind my house. Below is a target and some
photos of the bullet.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogStrange looking bullets, but looks like the work.

They were very accurate, which surprised me. The American shot them well. Not sure how they might perform on game.

I think the American is a lot of rifle for the money. I'm thinking the Creedmore would be a good one to have.

I picked up a box of Hornady 120 A-Max's today. Hope to give it a range test on Sunday. I wanted 140's but they were out. Still good enough to see how the little RAR is going to perform.

Never been a big Ruger fan but I'm gonna eat a little crow on this one. They sure got it right on this little jewel. With exception to a pretty cheezy stock and a little heavy trigger pull, the 6.5 Creedmore and 120 A-Max Hornady ammo impressed the he11 out of me. A ten shot group @ 100yards was amazing. I had two shooter error's but the other eight cut a ragged hole. This is a NIB rifle and this was the first rounds down the tube. Needless to say, fire up the grill and pluck the feathers off that bird!!!

Originally Posted By: pyscodog I had two shooter error's but the other eight cut a ragged hole.

tumbling bullets make ragged ugly holes. better get it checked.
w00t.gif

Bullets weren't tumbling. They were almost cutting the same hole. Just kept laying them in the same place.I figured the two out of the group were me. The little tupperware stock is really hard to keep stable on a rest.

(Just looked at your smiley again, your messin with me aren't ya!!)

Originally Posted By: pyscodogNever been a big Ruger fan but I'm gonna eat a little crow on this one. They sure got it right on this little jewel. With exception to a pretty cheezy stock and a little heavy trigger pull, the 6.5 Creedmore and 120 A-Max Hornady ammo impressed the he11 out of me. A ten shot group @ 100yards was amazing. I had two shooter error's but the other eight cut a ragged hole. This is a NIB rifle and this was the first rounds down the tube. Needless to say, fire up the grill and pluck the feathers off that bird!!!

Nice. Psycho. Where in OK are you located?

Back