What would you all say

Jonheson

Hi new to the forum was hoping someone could give me some input on a idea I had I was reading about over seas how some of the pointer dogs were used to find and leads Hunter's to were deer were beding down they stay in eye sight of the hunter without making any noise and going on point when they find the deer until the shot was thinking since coyote and fox bed up in the day I was thinking maybe it could be done like that I don't doubt that the dog could find were one was the only thing I don't know about would be if you could get a shot on one or they pick up on the dog and be gone before the dog or you got there what would you all say

give it a try, but i would say that I couldn't get very close to a coyote for a dog to point like that since they have a great sense of smell and hearing.

That little hand call will call in a coyote over 1000yrds away, that is some really sensitive hearing.

What made me wonder was I have read of people still hunting for fox and coyote both just wanted to see what someone else might think

Oh sorry I thought it was the same the books I read about it in made it sound like it was about the same but what I was thinking since we can't hunt at night and fox and coyote sleep in the day time a dog like that could help find were they are beding I just don't know if I could get close enough for a shot

I'm betting not. I see a lot of coyotes during the day so I'm not so sure you could say they sleep all day. I did a spot and stalk with a dog going to a coyote on one occasion. The wind was 25 mph in my face and I got close enough to touch it. Did it with two small bedded bucks once. Same conditions. It would be a great way to get a lot of one on one time with your dog though.

Last edited:
Back