308: 125 grain from 16" barrel

LARUEminati

Anyone have velocity data on this, preferably from an AR-10 platform not bolt action? Nearly impossible to find velocity's for 16" barrels without doing it yourself.

Hoping to get 2,800 FPS and trying to figure out the ft/lb energy data before I buy the bullets and spend the time reloading. Getting 2,550 from 150's with varget. It would be for a deer hunting load, near or at max load with varget. Not really interested in FMJ box ammo numbers, just hot hunting loads but it needs to be from a 16" barrel.

Not exactly the same details, but close. I have a 130 gr. Barnes TTSX load, over a max. charge of W748, that does 2800 fps out of a 15" barreled Striker(308 Win), and 2850 fps out of a LR-308, with an 18" 1:11 X-Caliber barrel.

Not sure what your preferences are, but W748, or TAC, might be better choices for chasing velocity out of a 16" barreled AR style rifle.

Squeeze

Originally Posted By: SqueezeNot sure what your preferences are, but W748, or TAC, might be better choices for chasing velocity out of a 16" barreled AR style rifle.

Squeeze

Those velocities sound great.

I guess thats what it boils down to is chasing velocity in a shorter barrel, and that W748 has popped up quite a bit. I don't have any experience with it, the only turnoff i'm seeing is that its temperature sensitive which again I have no experience with but may cause issues if i'm developing a load during the summer and use it in the winter.

I mainly use Varget for my rifle reloading which is supposedly insensitive to temperature, never had a problem with it in my .223 but the velocity isn't there in the .308 before I start seeing pressure signs on the primers.

Thanks!

Laure, you got it backwards. Problems occur when you develop loads in cold weather then shoot them in hot weather, not the other way around.

I wonder how in the world we shot all those many cases of ball powder in the 1970's-current???

Went from 75* in S. Ca. to the hot plains of SD at 95*, no problems.

Those guys shooting benchrest use 115-125 bullets in the 30BR with about 33 gr of 4198 and get right at 2900 fps in 20-22 inch barrels. Bet with all the extra powder you can get in the cartridge you will be ok. Especially if you use one of the quicker powders.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanLaure, you got it backwards. Problems occur when you develop loads in cold weather then shoot them in hot weather, not the other way around.

I wonder how in the world we shot all those many cases of ball powder in the 1970's-current???

Good to know, like I said my minimal research spooked me a little since I have zero experience with temperature sensitive powders. Sometimes the "internet" does that to you, when you don't have the actual experience. That gives me encouragement to try new powders without worrying about a misfire in cold temps. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiOriginally Posted By: ackleymanLaure, you got it backwards. Problems occur when you develop loads in cold weather then shoot them in hot weather, not the other way around.

Good to know, like I said my minimal research spooked me a little since I have zero experience with temperature sensitive powders. Sometimes the "internet" does that to you, when you don't have the actual experience. That gives me encouragement to try new powders without worrying about a misfire in cold temps. Thanks.

I have to second Keith's reply. I developed my load at around 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and shoot it from 0 - 75 degrees, with groups opening up maybe + .5 MOA at the extremes, in my 308s that like this load. I have read some of these internet experts posts, suggesting W748 is "temperature sensitive", but my experience doesn't bear this out. Just use your head when developing loads, pick a temperature mid-range of your planned uses, and don't let ammo cook in the sun or in the gun, and you will be fine.

Squeeze

Currently working on a load for Savage Scout w/18" bbl. using 125 gr. Speer TNT's fed 210's. Temp mid 90's.

VARGET
LC Match Brass:

48.2 gr = 2928 fps
48.5 gr = 2964
48.8 gr = 2987
49.1 gr = 2997

VARGET
Unfired WW Brass:

48.8 gr = 2937
49.1 gr = 2932
49.4 gr = 2923 * ?
49.7 gr = 2944
50.0 gr = 2972 (FWIW book shows 3135 w/26" bbl)

IIRC once new brass is fire formed vel. will increase just a tad.

Somewhere around 49 gr. Varget filled WW case neck to 3/16" from top so gave up on Varget as I want to load in progressive press and felt sure some powder would be ejected as shell plate rotated.

Currently working on a promising load w/H335 but chronograph cratered on me so have no velocities. The H335 groups started to tighten up @ 45.0 and 45.5 produced a 3 shot group

i never did run any 125's out of my 16", and i did all my load developement for that LR308 before i got my magnetospeed.

i'm itching to get out this summer and run them through my 20" barrel though, i bet i can really get them cooking in that one. I'm thinking of using them as a groundhog killer :X

i'm gonna use the nosler 125 BT (Green tip) i have laying around for it. i had originally bought them for blackout but their expansion threshold (1800fps) is a bit on the high side for the caliber, and cost me my first lost deer. I punched a buck right through the neck at 65 yds with one - impact velocity was right around 1900 FPS according to my calculations - he chicken flopped around, jumped up, ran, bleeding all over and when he cleared the back fence & some trees down behind it... the wound plugged up solid. not a [beeep] drop of blood from there and i was working with 2" of virgin snow on the ground. needless to say i'm no longer hunting with them in the blackout.

[beeep] shame, they shot well from the blackout too!
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: sigprosXterminator powder for speed with the 125's

Wow, the data looks impressive.

Huge fan of the blackhorn 209 made by this same company. Never tried their smokeless stuff.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Onei never did run any 125's out of my 16", and i did all my load developement for that LR308 before i got my magnetospeed.

i'm itching to get out this summer and run them through my 20" barrel though, i bet i can really get them cooking in that one. I'm thinking of using them as a groundhog killer.

i'm gonna use the nosler 125 BT (Green tip) i have laying around for it. i had originally bought them for blackout but their expansion threshold (1800fps) is a bit on the high side for the caliber, and cost me my first lost deer. I punched a buck right through the neck at 65 yds with one - impact velocity was right around 1900 FPS according to my calculations - he chicken flopped around, jumped up, ran, bleeding all over and when he cleared the back fence & some trees down behind it... the wound plugged up solid. not a [beeep] drop of blood from there and i was working with 2" of virgin snow on the ground. needless to say i'm no longer hunting with them in the blackout.

[beeep] shame, they shot well from the blackout too!
frown.gif

Go 125 Speer TNT hp's for the 300blk. Much thinner jackets that are more conducive to speeds seen with the blackout. You could also go with the 110gn Varmageddon or Vmax pills.

Last edited:
If you can find it try some tac. I loaded some 125 sst for my neice to shoot and they shot well in my g2 recon. I never did crony them but they shot dang good

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishIf you can find it try some tac. I loaded some 125 sst for my neice to shoot and they shot well in my g2 recon. I never did crony them but they shot dang good

Picked some up Saturday at Cabelas before I even read your post. I saw the numbers for TAC when I was checking out Xterminator. Has a picture of a gas gun on the bottle! That's a good start. I love blackhorn in my muzzleloader, TAC's made by the same company. Lots of load data list's TAC aswell, i've noticed.

Once I get bullets and make the loads i'll post some 16" data for deer hunting loads, both 125's and 150's. Real velocity data that translates to the actual energy out of a 16" gas gun, not easy to find online. I've got TAC and Varget currently, thinking of also including the W708 in the testing if I can find some.

I'll be doing some experimenting in this area soon. Just bought an Adams Arms small-frame AR .308 that is 16". I have Speer 125 gr. TNTs and some 130 grain stuff, too. Reloder 15 has been a favorite in my .308 bolt guns, not sure about in the AR platform. In my R-25 I've mostly shot Varget (20" barrel).

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiAnyone have velocity data on this, preferably from an AR-10 platform not bolt action? Nearly impossible to find velocity's for 16" barrels without doing it yourself.

Hoping to get 2,800 FPS and trying to figure out the ft/lb energy data before I buy the bullets and spend the time reloading. Getting 2,550 from 150's with varget. It would be for a deer hunting load, near or at max load with varget. Not really interested in FMJ box ammo numbers, just hot hunting loads but it needs to be from a 16" barrel.

Here is a couple of QL predictions using a Hornady 125 SST with a 16" BBL. All charges are max and should be loaded to listed velocities and not listed charge weights.

Varget is too slow for a 16" bbl. Compressed loads of 110% FR may cause bullet seating issues and you will only get 93% APB.

49.5 grs H4895 104.6% FR 94.72% APB 2916 fps

52.4 grs TAC 102.7% FR 90.75% APB 2885 fps

46.8 grs H322 101.9% FR 99.08% APB 2938 fps ( This powder has almost the ideal burn rate for 16" bbl )

FR = Fill Ratio
APB = Amount of Propellant Burned

If you have another powder in mind let me know and I will run it. Hope this helps.

Back