Spring Bear

jjess

My 13 year old son killed a nice bear this spring! We have been so busy we decided not to hunt this spring. As school was coming to an end we got the itch to get out there so we put out a bait site and got some nice bears right away. We had bears coming in regularly before dark. This is probably the most active bait site we have ever had! We made plans to hunt last Thursday. We planed to get to the bait at about 6:30pm and sit until dark. Our blind is 50 yards from the bait. As we arrived at the bait the bear was at the bait. He was laying in front of the barrel eating Krispy Kreme donuts and enjoying himself. The vegetation is thick. We had to move a bit to find a lane to shoot through. We were about 70 yards but the bear never looked up at us. I put the shooting sticks in front of Patrick and he settled in and shot. The bear just rolled over and appeared to be done. We were high fiveing and celebrating and when I looked up the bear was moving and trying to get up. We had to move down to get a clear shot. He took a second shot and I think he missed. He took a third shot and hit him in front of his right should at the base of the neck and put him right down. The first shot was excellent right through the chest. It didn't hit the heart but hit both lungs and the great vessels across the top of the heart. The follow up shots were probably not nessasary but he was trying to get up. It was really a great hunt and fun to share with Patrick and our friend H82miss! He was a big bear and difficult to handle but we managed.. Now Patrick thinks he's pretty tough!!!

t

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Wow... Awesome job, Well Done ! And with a .243 to boot?? Dang, I know thats a great caliber but for deer, predators.. but a Beast of a bear ? lol. Amazing, Thanks for sharing with us !

Last edited:
We grilled some bear steaks! They were very good. There is something really cool about providing a meal for the family!! We found a recipe for a marinade on the internet, soaked em for a few hours and grilled em...

Back