Imr 4895 with 60gr vmax

Tim B

Just a question, been working loads up with Imr 4895 and 60gr vmax in a 223 wylde 20in woa barrel 1in8 twist

Started at 23gr then 23.5 then 24

23gr was outstanding with a 5 shot group 4 touching and 1 just outside of the 4 at a 100yds

My question is should I keep trying up to the max (Lyman 49th) honestly Im real happy with the 23gr grouping but didn't know if I should try close to the max, first time reloading rifle so not sure,

Still working on 55gr varmagedons and benchmark so far not much luck with those but I starred at 23 and stopped at 24.2, this weekend its 24.4 to 24.8

I had good results around 26.0gns with the 62gn Varmageddon and imr4895 in one of my AR's. You are probably pretty slow at 23.0gns. Might run it over a chrony and see.

honestly - if i find a load that shoots amazing, i'm not usually terribly concerned how fast its going unless you're trying to push the limits of the caliber and speed is a NECESSITY to maintain expansion velocity out to distance.

how far are you going to be shooting?
have you chronographed it?

if the velocity at your intended target distance is above the expansion threshold (1600 fps for vmax) i wouldnt fret about it. just know your drops.

dead is dead, and a dead critter isnt going to be able to tell the difference in a couple hundred FPS of impact velocity very often
wink.gif

Longest would be 200 to 250, right now the longest I can test is 100 yds, was just curious if any one had seen good groups low then got up towards max and seen them tighten up again

Yes, it is sometimes possible to find another accuracy node on the upper end. Work up slowly watching for pressure. I find that in most .223's with 55 and 60 grain bullets, IMR-4895 will work best at near maximum loads. I also like Federal 205 primers with this powder.

Back