Question for beaver trappers

Jonheson

This may be a total newbie question but I saw places that had taned beaver tails and it got me to winding is there a market for them like the furs or is it just hit or miss on finding someone who use them if there is a market for them how should they be fixed

Not much of a market, a cured/completed tail brings about $20. But very simple. Once the tail is cut exposing the meat/bone. I usually use a vice to hold the cut side of the tail, careful not to pinch the outter skin. Cut from top down on both sides towards the tip. Use a pair of vice grips and slowly pull down exposing the meat. You will end up with (2) individual pieces. I use regular salt and let it sit for approximately 24 hrs. Flesh/tan as you would a pelt. But you do not need to stretch it. I use hemp material to sew both pieces back together. (There's a multitude of materials that can be used as well for sewing.) Wallets/small billfolds is usually what I make, but that in tails stretching prior to sewing. (In a nutshell) I've never looked for it, but I'm sure "YouTube" may help.....fun, but time consuming......good luck.

Last edited:
I have never bothered doing anything with the tails. Didn't know there was any market for them and never thought about it.

Never messed with the tails. Castors.......now that's a different story. If the buyers don't already have all they want, usually brings pretty good money.

Right now all the secondary markets are saturated by big time trappers that are looking to supplement their usual fur sales due to the decreased (bottom dropped out) fur prices.....
The commercial tanneries are swamped right now too... just a matter of time until the tanned fur market is saturated as well
good luck

I know some lure makers use the tail for part of it...not sure if this is where they get the oil or not though. Also read where beaver hides this year will be just as hard to sell as raccoons. Read their hides are really hard to tan because they are a "rubbery" type hide when tanned and have too much stretch. Western yotes,fisher,marten and cats will be the target animals this year. Especially the coyotes!

Originally Posted By: FishinHankPeople eat them, never been that hungry. I have seen wallets made from tanned beaver tails and they are pretty cool.

My father loves them. Not a huge fan myself. It's just kinda greasy/gristly. Sorta like eating pigs feet I guess (which i'm not a fan of either)

Back