Favorite .17 center fire

Originally Posted By: bobcat93I love all the .17 Cal. I will be selling a rifle or two to fund my next .17 Cal project..

Me too. I cannot decide between the .17/.378 Weatherby or just going whole hog for the .17/.50 BMG.

Watcha think? Need to keep the powder manufacturers as well as the barrel makers in business, right?

smile.gif

Well I picked up my 527 .17 hornet last week, got it scoped up with a burris fullfield 4.5-14 and finally got to shoot it yesterday. Shooting conditions weren't the greatest, sun was behind me and my targets were dark in the woods. Still very impressed. Shooting factory hornady 20 grain v-max, these were the two 3 shot groups @ 100 yards I shot once it was dialed in, both measure under 1" with the one group closer to 1/2", pretty dang happy with this little rifle. Can't wait to get some more time with it and shoot some critters now.
IMG_6904 by psdan000
image2 by psdan000
image1 by psdan000

Last edited:
Good choice on going with the 17hh. I have 3 my buddies and I shoot the snot out of.

If your going to start with factory ammo then reload them make sure you get the non crimped stuff. I ended up with a lot of crimped brass and it is a pain to get the primer seated. I believe they have solved the problem because I was at cabelas the other day opened up some boxes and non of them were crimped.

You will have a blast with the 17hh.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Blackhawk43I also have a 17 HMR, it will be the next one to go down the road. I can load the Hornet cheaper than buying shells for the HMR.

Wont be selling mine! I have an almost stock Ruger 77/.17 with a Volquartsen barrel on it. Every year in Wyoming it accounts for many dozen prairie dogs. It a a lot of fun and it amazes me how deadly it can be.

And I wish that I could reload for $10 per 50 rounds. Figuring in brass and primers and powder and bullets I dont see how you can reload those Hornets any cheaper than that.

Unless you're buying bulk you can't do it cheaper than $10 and that's only if you have brass to reload. That said even not buying bulk 50 rds comes in at $10-11 for my 17 Hornet. They are very frugal on powder which helps keep the cost down, I'll gladly pay the same to shoot my Hornet and get the nice bump in performance over my 17hmr

Ammunition for the 17 HMR runs around 16-18 per 50 in this area. I found some blem. bullets for about four dollars per hundred which brought the cost down quite a bit. Assuming re-load means you have brass helps also.

Im a big fan of the .17rem, got 2 now, 1 is a early "A" serial numbered Rem BDL and the other is a Tikka M55. Australia has a good number of Red fox's to use them on.

My favorite isn't the same as the one I would buy again, but it's still my favorite. My favorite is the 17 Mach IV, with the dutiful nod to the 17 Fireball. My "go to" is 17 Rem, simply because brass is cheap and easy to find and make, and it's a lot easier to go DOWN to Fireball/Mach IV levels with a 17Rem than it is to come up to Rem levels with the stubby fellas. I never had an issue feeding with my MIV/Fireballs, but I know some folks do, so I could count that as peace of mind advantage, even if I didn't experience a direct advantage.

Originally Posted By: spook1I have a martini cadet in 17 ackley bee that I really like

I would absolutely love to have one of those! I remember when you could buy those Martini Cadet actions for cheap. And shooting a 20 grain Vmax at over 3800 FPS? Sounds like so very much fun to me!

Originally Posted By: Utahcaller.17 Tactical..... With 30 grain Kindler Golds and Lapua Brass....

+1. 17 Tac for coyotes and 17 FB for Pd's and such.

Back