Sad but proud.

sandy hicks

Well my baby girl is growing up. She graduated from the 8th grade this week and has decided to get a summer job. She wants to be a vet and will do anything to make something well. Blood and guys dont bother her and she would rather be outside with animals instead of inside on a video game.
A guy that I went to school with raises deer and quarter horses and his wife needs some help with all of the deliveries and new babies on the ground. She started going over just to see the babies and help out with some of the bottle feedings. He decided that she would make some good summer help around the ranch and decided to put her to work. By the time school starts back up wverything should be about ready for feed except for the horses and they will be in the pasture with the mares by then.
Its good to see her moving toward her goals and learning to earn her own way.

Last edited:
They grow up entirely too quickly, don't they Jerry. Sounds like she has her head on straight and knows what she wants to do!

Regards,
hm

Good job Dad. In today's world it's extremely difficult to raise them properly and you should be proud. My son is now turning 30. C.D. is so right, before you know it theyre adults. I found it very hard to let go and then I read somewhere that as parents, our last job is to give them roots and give them wings. Hardest thing I ever did.

You have every right to be proud! Sounds like an awesome young lady. Don't be sad, as parents we work really hard to raise our children to be self sustaining successful adults. It's a natural part of the cycle. And, you're always gonna be dad no matter what the age. You only have to be sad if a kid turns out wrong headed and fouled up in life. I think your girl is gonna be just fine... good job dad and mom.

Thats great for both of you. She's accepting responsibility at a pretty young age. Becoming a Vet is probably harder than becoming a Doctor. Many more species to study and become familiar with. Have her get a early start in math and chemistry, a good background in that is necessary.

Thanks fellas. She makes good grades in school and absolutely hates girly drama. She started killing deer at 8 years old, skins them herself now, and knows how to make sausage her way.
At the same time she likes to dress up and go to five star restaurants, ballets and the opera. She was also my date to last years Marine Corps ball.

I will shut up know. I am just proud of my kids. Oldest is in college studying chemistry and psychology. I will probably end up as a case study.

Back