Coyote and Fox

Bhoppy1216

My wife an I are moving to a small 5 acre plot of land that has chickens and a large garden, and we have been told that Coyotes and Foxes are pretty common in trying to steal out feathered egg givers and will stomp through the garden. I obviously have way too little land to get a large rifle, or use me Ruger .2LR, so I am getting a shotgun. I would like a 20 Gauge just because I like how the low recoil allows me to get more shots out, but will it be ok for these two pests, or is a 12 gauge going to be better? What ammo and choke patterns would be best? I dont like these guys messing with my breakfast food supply, but I also dont want them to suffer because I was underpowered. What ranges are good and where should I am for these guys? Thanks so much!

Have you considered a PCP air rifle? A Maruader in .25 cal would fit the bill or you could bump up the power with a Sumatra. Depending on the budget they are a great although not inexpensive solution for coyote sized game. Air rifles are also nice since you can ad a silencer without spending an arm and a leg which will help not disrupt the neighbors.

Personally, I would go with the scatter gun in the gauge of your choice. 20 ga would allow the wife (and kids) to shoot comfortably as well. It would open up your options for other game as well.

A 12 would offer extended range, and pellet count, more firepower, but at the cost of more recoil. This choice is up to you.

If you're not familiar with pellet count and size, a Google search will help in this area. I don't know this info for 20 ga off the top of my head.

Get a gun that will take 3" shells, a few boxes of various loads, 3" - at least #4 shot and larger, somethin like this, perhaps http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/i...rounds?a=223712 - 3" #2 shot (18 pellet count), and do some patterning. IMO, I would go with a full, or turkey choke, or something with inter-changeable chokes. You can also shoot 2 3/4" loads from a 3" gun.

My guess would be your max range would be around 40 yards on the outside, give or take. This is just a guess. Maybe someone with more 20 experience will chime in and give some more details.

Last edited:
Back