Wood Water Sealer

pahntr760

We are ordering the kids one of those wooden swing sets this week. I want to add some more protection to the wood. What has anyone used in the past for similar need Some? I hear Thompsons isn't as good as adverstised, or what I said recommended? I'd prefer a pump spray application as the angles and such of the swing set could be tough to get proper coverage with a brush or similar. Thanks in advance.

you could always try some Schaeffer's New Zealand Style Deck Sealent if you can find it here in the states
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I always use Sikkens products on the deck and my daughters wooden swing set and it seems to hold up really good in Michigan's 4 seasons. I have sprayed it and brushed it with good results.

Originally Posted By: Plant.Oneyou could always try some Schaeffer's New Zealand Style Deck Sealent if you can find it here in the states
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

LOL my use still doesn't sit on my d*ck... don't know why. Lol

for the swing set I'd suggest penofin 100% Brazilian rosewood oil
for anything you want to last 100+ years 50%/50% used motor oil and diesel

For my outdoor projects i use the oil finishes. They soak in and seal it out. Stay away from Poly and other simular types since when it needs more, you will have to sand and scrape.

Outdoor oil, or they have 450 which is water based.

http://www.rockler.com/outdoor-oil

This stuff is easy. You can put it in a weed sprayer and spray it on the swing set, use a brush to even it, and let it dry.

Give it two or three coats.

Then once a year, give it a coat, usually at the end of summer. Just spray on another coat. no scrubbing, scraping.

Here is a table i made that sits in the sun and is a few years old.

thx, used it this weekend. It's eucalyptus for the most part, and the center and edges are mesquite. Those flower pots in the middle make nice coolers.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhere is the wodguru. he surely knows the answer to this. he knows everything.

Actually I figured there were some good suggestions so I wasn't going to weigh in

Originally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishingOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotwhere is the wodguru. he surely knows the answer to this. he knows everything. Hopefully he packed up and left.

Actually just got back from England yesterday (Monday) from a 10 day trip to the Manchester area to visit my daughter and family.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZI would carefully measure the advice given by anyone that suggests using polyurethane on a gun stock.

That's pretty funny spoken by the guy who used some sort of blue body filler gunk in his fine wood working to fill in the cracks in the wood. Whatever you want to say about my wood working advice is fine, but I am far too much of a perfectionist to use blue filler on nice looking wood.

I will stand by Minwax Wipe On Poly as one of the easiest and toughest stock refinishing materials out there for someone who wants a quick and easy tough finish that is far better than the factory finish used by Remington. I have received two messages from guys who tried it and loved the results, but who were undoubtedly afraid to post those replies after reading your attacks to the subject.

Hey, that table looks nice (with the exception of the blue goo), but you do not want to put it up against the kind of furniture work I do. I would not have trashed your work or ideas had you not been doing that to me, perfect example is that you bring my name in a derogatory light into a discussion that has nothing to do with me, not exactly a class act to be sure.

I have been complimentary about your work because you enjoy what you do and it makes no sense to trash someone's hobby.

The rifle stocks I did professionally for people were done with hand rubbed oil finishes, and would not have been appropriate for a casual refinish for most people, which is why I shared the best easy finish I've found since many oil type finishes were banned here.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrThat blue filler gunk actually is turquoise and looks superb.

I agree.

Also, poly on a stock is an insane idea. Either refinish it correctly, or let a pro do it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am still weighing my options on application methods and durability.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrThat blue filler gunk actually is turquoise and looks superb.

Now you've gone and made woodless look stupid. Way to go you bully.

Oh wait, woodless did that all by himself by opening his mouth.

woodless, again, for the umpteenth time, thank you for again proving that you no little beyond the scope of the party line drivel your handlers feed you.

for someone who "claims" to be so smart, you sure say some STUPID things. Not just STUPID opinions, but just flat out wrong FACTS. The things you wrongly say are common knowledge, yet you proudly spew your crap on a regular basis.

Then you wonder why you get called out.....

A truly intelligent person would
a) not say these things to begin with
b)have the capacity to learn when mistakes are made
and finally
c)know when he /she/it has been exposed and move along.

You are not fooling anyone here caitlin

Back