DIY IR lights

Hard_ware

Leds from mouser electronics 12degree 1/2 angle, so the units have about a 24degree beam, 2 watt leds but narrow beam so they are very bright. Sold in 850nm or 940nm same style approx $7ea cheaper the more you buy. I am testing a 3x3 unit and a 6x1 unit will get some pics up soon to show how they work. Lights on the market that compare are $150.00 and up.

here is unit after mod:
IMG_0473_zpszr5muydn.jpg

Here is a 3 led unit from amazon remove and replace LEDs and 1 resistor for full power, under $50 mod.
IMG_0487_zpsdwtxtaai.jpg

Heat board from bottom side until you can lift off led
IMG_0488_zpsvb2m9rtq.jpg

IMG_0489_zpsgzwesyxi.jpg

sfh 4783 850nm led
cheap IR led unit amazon
cheap 3x3 led units
LDH-45a-1050W
This power supply will drive about 18 of the IR leds in series, the square lights don't need the power supply.
The slim lights have to be rewired internally to allow them to be connected in series to run up to 3 units (12watts each) with built in dimmable power supply.
6 of these leds will output around 3000mw of IR light
3 units will output around 9000mw of ir light
very very bright @ 850nm which 2x brighter to gen3 NV compared with 940nm lights costing 3x as much.

Hard Ware,

Thanks for the information. It's always nice to see different options in lights.

I don't have a lot of tech savvy, so I would like to ask a question. How does the light you mentioned compare to this one? I have one of these that has 140 LEDs, 850nm.

www.ebay.com/itm/New-140-Led-IR-Infrared-Lamp-Illuminator-Light-850nm-For-CCTV-Camera-Adapter

Also, I have a similar light that is 198 LEDs and 940nm that I have mounted about 25 yards from my coyote bait site. It illuminates enough for me to see at my little cabin that is 60 yards from the site.

I am just curious how much better, if any at all, the light you mentioned is. Appreciate any input.

Is your light AC or DC powered?

The small match head type leds do not project very far 10-30yds, due to the fact that they cannot handle much heat. Adding hundreds of them gets brighter but they still wont offer much range. The surface mount style leds are mounted to a metal printed circuit board so they can transfer the heat to the cast aluminium fins. The small round light with the 3 leds in it will light up several hundred yards after the swap out of the leds. Think of the t20 with its 1 led and the range it has. Lights runs off 9-36vdc.

Last edited:

So, the unit can be powered by a small 12-volt dc battery?

Will those IR's be too bright at 50 to 100 yards?

What will a unit cost?

Small 3 led unit around $50, yes a battery will power it. It will use around 6 watts, I will try and get some pics thru photon 4.6 scope and gen3 NV, moon reflection is getting smaller this coming SAT no moon out very dark night
tt1.gif
poor critters. I am not going into business, but will assemble some units for posting members if they want them.

Last edited:

Looking forward to some videos, Hard Ware. The Photon was specifically in my mind, but also good to know how the lights will perform with other dedicated NV scopes.

Another thought is to incorporate a 1/2x20 thread to the bottom of the unit so that it will fit a tripod. That could bring about several possibilities.

Hardware,

have you had a chance to get any videos through the Photon and with your new light build? I am still interested.

Back