lead free zones what bullets to shoot on coyotes???

ackleyman

Just wondering what you guys in Ca are doing with lead free bullets on coyotes?

I was thinking the 50g Barnes tipped, but will they open up on a coyote?

For my 1-8" twist 22-250 and 1-8" twist 223AI I use the Barnes 55 gr MPG Lead Free bullets and they do a decent job on coyotes.

I have seen seven coyotes shot with the Hornady 35 gr NTX Lead Free Varmint bullets out of a 223 Rem and a 22-250 and all of those coyotes died quickly.

This last season I used my 243 Win with 55 gr Nosler BT Varmint Lead Free bullets. This bullet was very accurate but at times really did some damage.

The Barnes 62 gr 243 Cal Varmint Grenades also do a decent job on coyotes.

I don't use any of the GMX, E-Tip, TSX or TTSX bullets for hunting coyotes.

I have seen quite a few coyotes shot with TSX and TTSX bullets in 243 Cal, 260 Rem, 300 WSM and 30-06 and all of those coyotes died quickly without much fur damage. All of these coyotes were shot while deer hunting.

The 50 gr TTSX Barnes bullet should open up on a coyote. Unless you hit bone it would probable be a small entrance and exit hole.

Not too long ago our state was making noises of going all non-tox so I started to work with some of the lead frees in my 6mm-204. 62gr VG's were leaving huge exits(large softball sized) so I switched to 55gr NBT LF's and though my sample numbers are small I've been pleased with the results. I hunt for pelts.

This summer I'm going to work up loads for some of the .224 LF's and shake them out next fall and winter.

Is there some way that LE can test the make-up of the bullets out in the field? I'm just wondering how anyone could tell a difference. Not advocating breaking the law.

The color and shape of the current limited LF options are pretty easy to recognize. For example, shotgun hulls are marked and color coded, Barnes TSX and Nosler LF are recognizable pretty easily. So are many classic lead bullets.

If in doubt, they'll likely ask to see the box, or ask if they have your permission to cut your bullet in half for lead inspection. They can seize your ammo for evidence if you don't cooperate and they have reasonable suspision your ammo has lead. Similar to seizing a small amount of white powder or crystal substance to field test it for illegal drugs.

Streamsystems makes a small portable detector that you pass a shotshell through. It shows if it is lead,tungsten matrix,bismuth or steel without having to tear down the shell.

Because the lead ban is nation wide for waterfowl hunting there is a demand for the small hand held device. When there are enough areas having a lead ban for bullets someone will make the equipment.

Keith I've shot a few coyotes with the barnes tsx and all were drt. I was shooting the 53 grain pill from a 22-250 at 3700 fps. I worked this load up for bobcats, but coyotes kept getting in the way.

Back