Spyderco Tri Angle vs Lansky Sharpening Systems

Originally Posted By: vanhornetYes I have 2 of the KMEs, and use them to semi professionally sharpen knives for people around the community for the past several years.

It might take a bit longer than some of the other systems, but the results are spectacular. The only drawback I have encountered is it is difficult to do blades over 10" or so.... It can be done but is a pita.

The diamond stones are a great upgrade, and have no prob sharpening some of the harder blades, ie D3, 3V ..... Breezes right through the 440s.

Ken at KME is great to deal with, and will take the time on the phone to make sure you don't buy stuff you don't need, and help with any problems you might have. I bent a rod, was completely my fault, and he sent another at no charge, within a week.

I keep notes on every blade I do, sometimes marking the spine for degree. This makes touch up a breeze.

I hand out band-aids to my customers with every sharpen, and many get used. Most people have NEVER had a truly SHARP knife, and these are the ones that come back again and again, usually with box full of old kitchen knives, or old folders. It's not uncommon for me to make $100 in an afternoon.

Depending on the degree of work they need, I charge from $1 per inch for a touch up, to $5 an inch for a angle change, chipped metal, or broken tip. I have no lack of customers.

I have the diamond stones from 50 to 1500 grit. It's funny watchin peoples faces when you start scratchin on their blade with a 50 grit ! Makes a horrible noise.

Interesting.....I'm an old Edge pro guy but thanks for the feed back....
The KME definitely looks like a step up for the fixture type units....

Back