Coyote hunting in Maine...

DSCN0557_zpsjlratetv.jpg

this was a cool one after 5mins of coyote pup screams and pup distress this female came out of the edge to my left less than 50yds. she turned and saw me a fraction of a second before I fired
call was at the middle of the stone wall in the background a little over 100 yds. wind was left to right in the pic
don

Last edited:
Actually...and sorry for all the questions...but you said you use a decoy. When you are doing howls and pup distress what decoy do you use? I have a small decoy imitating a flopping rabbit essentially but didn't think I should use that when imitating coyotes. Thoughts on that?

well I do use a decoy, the mojo critter, It's great, use it every time and it just keeps on going. some coyotes, when they see it you just can't stop them. don't know what they think it is but that don't matter. It's something moving period, soon as they see it they are locked on, some yotes won't stop for woofs cause they're so hooked on it,and others do stop. I don't worry about them thinking it should be a coyote. sometimes I think I should not use it so they'd be more willing to stop for woofs. the Mojo is great the batts come in a battery pack so they don't get loose and stop working, hope this helps
don

It does very much and thank you again. I was using a decoy like I mentioned and I finally tossed it the other night for the reason you just said...batteries keep getting loose. I'll look at the mojo. I was just curious if the distraction helped regardless of the call and it sounds like it does

DSCN0581_zpskujsvozo.jpg

well, after 36 setups I finally broke the drought. this 30lb female came in to one lone howl then lip squeaks and coy pup screams after 18 minutes. perfect morning, cool temp, light fog and wind in my face. again I was sitting in the road in the open with a good back ground. very happy about this lady

Last edited:
DSCN0586_zpswish0jsh.jpg

got this female yesterday, 27.3lbs. she came in to 2 howls then some lip squeaks then coyote pup screams, she came in after only about 8 minutes
don

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donlynch
DSCN0586_zpswish0jsh.jpg

got this female yesterday, 27.3lbs. she came in to 2 howls then some lip squeaks then coyote pup screams, she came in after only about 8 minutes
don

Awesome looking yote, congratulations.

started out this AM with a couple of minutes of lip squeaks, then went to coy pup screams, and right away I got howls off to my right about 200yds or so, went to coyote lone twice. they answered, I went back to screams again and here comes a pair, I tried to stop them with a bunch of woofs, no luck, they are now at my decoy, one grabs it, tears off the fluffy top, then somehow it bit the battery housing. by now they've got a nosefull of me and they're taking off. I throw one shot but i'm not less Johnson and I missed. when they got into the woods they continued to howl but I never saw them again.
i'm wondering if I'd have been better off without the decoy, maybe they'd have come in slower and stopped when I woofed. I'm gonna go without the decoy next trip and see what happens.it was very exciting that's for sure,
don

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donlynchstarted out this AM with a couple of minutes of lip squeaks, then went to coy pup screams, and right away I got howls off to my right about 200yds or so, went to coyote lone twice. they answered, I went back to screams again and here comes a pair, I tried to stop them with a bunch of woofs, no luck, they are now at my decoy, one grabs it, tears off the fluffy top, then somehow it bit the battery housing. by now they've got a nosefull of me and they're taking off. I throw one shot but i'm not less Johnson and I missed. when they got into the woods they continued to howl but I never saw them again.
i'm wondering if I'd have been better off without the decoy, maybe they'd have come in slower and stopped when I woofed. I'm gonna go without the decoy next trip and see what happens.it was very exciting that's for sure,
don Don that is the exact reason I never use a decoy here. If they get to the decoy before you kill'em, you are probably not gone to kill'em. Sometimes they show up at my call before I see them. Call is never on the ground.

yeah, I've always been in favor of decoys but this year I've had 2 or 3 times when I'd have been better off without. first time one ever bit off the top though. If I was a little more cool I should have got one of them, but I was slightly excited
don

Back