Pups are running with the adults

wyoman

Today I took my dog for a walk. I live in town but there are lots of undeveloped spots where I turn my dog loose and let her run around. She is a mt. cur in training. I pull up to the normal place and I see a coyote standing in front of me about 40 yards away. I let the dog out and three more heads pop up out of a ditch. Piper heads over to them and a pup jumps up and dives into a culvert. She goes after the pup and the other three close the distance very quickly. I spook the coyotes off and they trot out into an empty field about 100 yards away. The two smaller adults lay down and the largest just stands there. Of course...I send her. Just when she gets close to the standing coyote the other two jump up and cut her off from me. Those dang coyotes really wanted her. She has her collar on and I beep her back to me but they won't let her go. I can see where three coyotes can really have their way with a dog. She is only a year and four months and just isn't as coordinated as they are. As she faces off with one or two the third darts in to bite her flank. She gets enough room to run back and they follow her to within 25 yards. They were not at all afraid that I was standing there next to a running truck. With their pup in the culvert they weren't ready to leave. We played the back and forth game a few times and I called it quits before she got beat up. I don't think she is quite ready for a three on one scenario. The whole time I was thinking....I wish I had my suppressed blackout to even out the fight.

I was thinking a pistol, but a 300BO would work too. Glad your dog didn't get hurt, she got some experience & knowledge for the next.

I've noticed that when using a dog as a decoy for calling, it seriously makes the coyotes usual demeanor fade. They seem to not care that a human is in the area. I've only called with a dog a handful of times, and called in only 2 coyotes with a dog, but they definitely focus all attention on the dog. Glad your hound didn't get tore up.

I had a male come running in on my lab (who is a coyote hunting machine)while we were out for a walk. I ALWAYS pack a rifle and I hammered him at about 15 yards. I am fairly sure that this was the only coyote ever taken in the state of Montana with a 500gr bullet out of a .450 Nitro Express double rifle.
smile.gif
I still chuckle when I think about that one!

Originally Posted By: jcs271I had a male come running in on my lab (who is a coyote hunting machine)while we were out for a walk. I ALWAYS pack a rifle and I hammered him at about 15 yards. I am fairly sure that this was the only coyote ever taken in the state of Montana with a 500gr bullet out of a .450 Nitro Express double rifle.
smile.gif

would've liked to seen pics of that for sure
That's like an African Big Game caliber isn't it?

You probably won't find many dogs that can handle three coyotes, probably even a pair. Several years ago, I saw a pair turn a good border collie upside down and backwards, and they did it quick. IMO, it would take a dog like a full size Airedale to give a pair of coyotes what for. Even with that scenario, he would probably get damaged some.

I found my first den of the year today. Pups were out but their bodies weren't proportionate yet and mostly fuzzy. Maybe go back again with the camera.

Originally Posted By: jf1073Originally Posted By: jcs271I had a male come running in on my lab (who is a coyote hunting machine)while we were out for a walk. I ALWAYS pack a rifle and I hammered him at about 15 yards. I am fairly sure that this was the only coyote ever taken in the state of Montana with a 500gr bullet out of a .450 Nitro Express double rifle.
smile.gif

That's like an African Big Game caliber isn't it?

Yes it is and I have killed everything from catfish and squirrels to elephants with it, but it is also a lot of fun for other things too! Here it is on a spring bear hunt.....

Back