Need a new AR

tbarile

I guess need is a stretch but I would like a new AR for coyote hunting. I've been looking at rock river and spikes. Is there a stock RRA or spikes that is good for yotes? Should I buy a lower from one and an upper from another? I would like to stay below $1000 and would prefer complete uppers and lowers. Not interested in a heavy barrel and would like to keep shots quiet as possible. Thanks for all and any input.

Look at Aero Precision, also PSA has super cheap lowers, especially if you get the "blem" lower. But EVERYONE I've talked to that got a blem lower couldn't even find anything wrong with it. Anymore everyone's uncle, cousin, and sisters best friend make AR recievers so there is basically endless possibilities. Oh, and if you want to mix and match upper and lowers you surely can.

when it comes to forged uppers and lowers - there's only a couple company's out there making the actual forgings that the manufacturer's like aero and such do the finish machining on to bring them to spec.

that said - you SHOULD be able to mix and match MOST uppers and lowers, except for the limited proprietary stuff - the bushmaster "carbon 15" series for example - that isnt compatible with standard mil spec stuff.

as far as keeping your shots "as quiet as possible" - short of putting a suppressor on the end which will blow most (if not all) of your 1k budget there - the only advice i can give you is to not put a big honkin muzzle brake on there. stay with a basic flash hider or a linear compensator.

Just depends on if you want specific parts like barrels, triggers, handguards, etc, or if the factory offerings meet your needs.

Ok let's start with this, what do you want out of this rifle? Basic calling rifle, unless you're like me and want to have a bad [beeep] calling rifle you could do it for a grand. How far do you walk? If you don't walk a whole lot maybe weight isn't a huge issue, sometimes cutting weight can cost more (not always). So you want a complete upper and lower? First off, go to JoeBobOutfitters a PM sponsor, check out some of their stuff, the easiest way to find out what you want is to look. Midway is also another good place to look. Like Plant.One said though, basically all lowers are the same and you won't see a difference if you pay a lot more. Your upper is going to depend completely on what you want out of your gun.

Maybe you should look at complete ARs? PTG makes good guns, also a PM sponsor. Ritch makes awesome uppers, really good uppers. Many will vouche for him. Have you looked at the *gulp* Remington AR, or maybe the Mossberg AR? Lots of people like these guns. Like I said earlier, there is toooooooo many options to actually go through them all, my first AR was a S&W M&P Sport II, it's more tactical than hunting styled, but I take it calling without regret. It was only like.... $550 I think?

Just look around, Budsgunshop is a good place to look also.

Originally Posted By: tbarileWould a out of the box RRA or Spikes be a good option or is it best to build one?

if you're going to build - make sure you budget at LEAST $100-$150 in tools for the assembly process.

there are some must have tools, and some make life easy tools.
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/491335/...-essentials-kit
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/422840/...stallation-tool

if you're only gonna have/build one - then the buy complete is probably more your speed.

[edit] do note that since the number of calibers you can put onto a standard AR Lower receiver with just two pins is pretty significant... building other uppers in the future ... well yea... no one can eat just one Lays potato chip and all that
cool.gif
the tools are a solid investment. [/edit]

building an AR is eeeeeeasy if you have basic mechanical skills. with the awesome how-to videos on youtube these days, its gravy.

my first lower only took about 30 mins to put togther. Uppers are WAY easier.

Last edited:
I probably won't build more than one so I'm not sure the full build makes sense due to the extra cost of tools. I think the issue in having is that there are sooo many options that I don't know which direction to turn. Maybe you could point me in the right direction of a couple of different uppers and lowers or complete guns.
. I don't have a far hike so weight isn't a huge factor
Only used for coyote hunting and maybe a ground hog or two
Shots will be out to 250yds
I will mount light to gun

Look at mossbergs MMR AR15 hunter line.
I have 2 and they are very accurate.
$599 at sportsmans warehouse right now, even dipped in brush camo.
The MMR are great & accurate AR15s, cant go wrong.

Originally Posted By: JJTAlwaysWishingI'd look at Predator Technology Group, they make what you're looking for. If you don't like them look at JoeBobOutfitters for uppers and lowers.

This. Tell Mo and Co. what you want and leave it in their capable hands. In short order you'll have a great calling rifle, built by capable folks who support our organization and sport, and be ready to hit the calling fields. You'll also have access to support and advice from one of the best fox callers (Mo) I've been around.

Aero's sale this week makes me want to spend money I dont have. I wish Vortex was offering a site wide sale, need to get me some new glass
smile.gif

PK Firearms usually has some pretty good prices on the RRA Varmint and Predator Pursuit uppers, I would try to match it with a RRA lower if possible...but your trigger group might be more important than the actual lower itself.

Originally Posted By: JLJ223PK Firearms usually has some pretty good prices on the RRA Varmint and Predator Pursuit uppers, I would try to match it with a RRA lower if possible...but your trigger group might be more important than the actual lower itself.

in no specific order... the trigger group, pistol grip and stock are the three things that REALLY matter in a lower, and are basically the three MAIN things you customize on one. other than maybe installing an ambi safety, or a battery assist device..... everything else is pretty much cosmetic.

Back