260 terminator?

I know Shawn and Bob personally, I've had builds done by 4 or 5 other great gunsmiths in the past, but Defensive Edge is who I use exclusively now. Not only do they do excellent work but they are great to work with and are salt of the earth kind of people. They also have the fastest build time of anyone I've ever used.

Awesome. How's the rifling work? I'm just trying to understand it? Any way you have a bore scope pic? Where are they based out of?

Last edited:
Very interesting
What is difference to 6.5 CM
Will this work in AR platform ?
Love my Grendel needs big brother
Thanks

So it's like a freebore but some of the rifling is left to get a good straight push up to the actual throat?

It sounds like the throat is doing all the work, maybe this could be designed into any chambering.

Sounds like they have a 35 degree shoulder, they should have just started with the AI. I'm shooting 140gr Amaxs around 3020+ from my 260AI with a 30" inch barrel using 47.76gr H4831SC and 2.870 OAL, slightly compressed load. I can't imagine 47.5g of H4350 would go over well in my rifle, haven't tried it but sounds like pressure problems.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishAwesome. How's the rifling work? I'm just trying to understand it? Any way you have a bore scope pic? Where are they based out of?

I'm not 100% sure exactly how it works so I won't comment on the technical aspect of it. I know it's proprietary to Defensive Edge and they patented the design. I know the +P throat design was giving their 338 stuff right around an extra 150 FPS at comparable pressure levels to the non +P 338's.

As an example, I have a 338 Lapua Imp with a conventional but long throat. With 300gr Bergers I'm well over 4in. of OAL before I'm touching on a 30in tube. I can run the 300's pretty close to 3050 before it starts showing enough pressure that I need to start backing it down. I can continue to stand on the throttle and run it on up and it'll continue to gain velocity but that's all that it will gain because everything else goes to sh1t and I'll be WELL into overpressure. With their +P throat design they're shooting the 300 Bergers right around 3200 in their 338 Terminator (their version of a 338 Lapua Imp) before they start getting those same pressure signs and they seem to be shooting pretty darn well right around that 3200.

I know Shawn was working on doing a 260 with the +P throat design but I wasn't aware he had built any yet. I think they have a 300 RUM with their +P throat that shoots the 230 Bergers pretty darn close to the same velocity as my 30-338 Lapua Imp. which is pretty impressive considering the 30-338 Lap. Imp has a fair bit more case capacity.

Defensive Edge has their own forum that can be found on their web page and it has a ton of really good information about lots of different things, especially, if you are into long range hunting/shooting.

Almost forgot, they are based out of Rathdrum Id. which is just across the fence from Spokane Wa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIt sounds like the throat is doing all the work, maybe this could be designed into any chambering.

Sounds like they have a 35 degree shoulder, they should have just started with the AI. I'm shooting 140gr Amaxs around 3020+ from my 260AI with a 30" inch barrel using 47.76gr H4831SC and 2.870 OAL, slightly compressed load. I can't imagine 47.5g of H4350 would go over well in my rifle, haven't tried it but sounds like pressure problems.

It sounds similar to the two angle Grendel leade that goes from the 0.5 degree to the more standard 1.5 degree.

Greg

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerIt sounds like the throat is doing all the work, maybe this could be designed into any chambering.

But this was with a24" rifle

Yup, the throat they use is working. Mine couldn't handle the amount of powder they are a using without some serous pressure issues. I would like to see this throat on a 260AI chamber and compare.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerYup, the throat they use is working. Mine couldn't handle the amount of powder they are a using without some serous pressure issues. I would like to see this throat on a 260AI chamber and compare.

In a case the size of the 260 Rem I doubt there would be any measurable difference in case capacity between a 35 and 40 degree shoulder angle. Even from parent case to 40 degree improved, the case capacity only increases by 4 grains water.

I've measured my 338 Lapua Improved with it's 40 degree shoulder and compared it to the 338 Lapua Improved with the 35 degree shoulder and even on a case this size it was barely a measurable difference. Without looking I think it was only about 1-1.5 grains water difference between the 338 35 and 40 degree shoulder.

Back