Beginner's Luck Coyote!

WeaselCircus

You gotta love beginner's luck! I've never been coyote hunting and have only ever shot one before. That was a month ago and was one that just happened to trot too close before seeing me when I was walking in to a varmint spot. But it's something I've been wanting to try out so I did go buy a Foxpro call a few weeks ago.

So yesterday I went out scouting a new area for varmint shooting with my CZ 527 .17 Hornet and decided to take along the Foxpro just in case. Got to a likely looking varmint spot and thought I'd set up my first ever real stand to test the thing out. I've had it out once before a week ago to see what it sounded like outdoors, but that was in a spot I'd been shooting already so I wouldn't really count it as a true stand. Set up in a big bowl area with some rock outcroppings and put the foxpro about 30 yards to the right of me. I settled in to some larger rocks where I was sort of hidden but not completely - wasn't even in camo, just earth tone clothes.

Turned on the caller and wasn't really sure what sound to try so started up with a female coyote whimper. Almost immediately I heard a faint coyote bark that sounded like it was way off to the left, but it responded so quick I wasn't sure if I was hearing things or maybe it was the caller echoing around the canyon. Let it run for about 8 minutes and hadn't seen anything (didn't really expect to honestly) and then switched over to a dying crow sound. There were a few crows flying around the area so it seemed like it was a good sound to try. Not 2 minutes later I look over to my left and there is a skylined coyote head at 200 yards. He was standing on a little rock cliff which was about the only spot that he could have come that close without me seeing him first. He was looking in my direction which was now right between the coyote and the call. With my heart about pumping out of my chest I very slowly got myself turned enough where I could line up a shot, and thankfully he then took a step or two closer and had turned just enough that I had a really good front quartering shot. Pulled the trigger and he immediately dropped but was down just out of sight, so I grab my gun and started sprinting towards him and a bit uphill to try to get a view and be ready for a followup if needed. I maybe got a third of the way there and I see him run off the cliff and behind some rocks. Got over there and found him piled up dead not making it very far. I'm thinking maybe I should now sell the caller and quit because it's hard to imagine I'll do that well again! J/K, what a rush!

coy1.jpg

coy2.jpg

you've been registered a long time for just making your first stand. congrats! don't wait so long next time.
nice lookin' rifle.

Quote:you've been registered a long time for just making your first stand. congrats! don't wait so long next time.
nice lookin' rifle.

Yeah, started and stayed on the forum because of the great varmint and rifle info. Predator's always seemed really daunting since I don't have buddies that hunt them so put off trying it forever.

Quote:Next time let the caller run, switch to pup distress or kiyi and get yourself a beginners luck double!

I actually did let the call run - for about 20 minutes on the crow call since I'd run off after the shot and left the remote laying where I'd been sitting. Also bounced out a box of shells and my water-bottle that was in my half unzipped pack.
unsure.gif

But for real I'll try that pup distress and kiyi sometime. Will a second coyote stick around and keep coming in after a shot or do you mean you get two almost at the same time?

And thanks for the kind words everyone!

It's been my experience that when multiples respond and one is dropped they all bolt for the hills. However it is not uncommon for one, maybe two to return to the sound of a kiyi. Make it a habit to sit stone still after dropping one. Sometimes you may not have seen the other one. When they do respond however, they will be sneaking back in, usually peering around brush or rocks, most likely not fully exposed. After the shot immediately crank the volume on a kiyi and let her rip. It will take some getting comfortable with maintaining self control and waiting. My rule of thumb is if you see no response in 10 minutes or so it's time to pack it in. You will likely be even more excited when you get your first double. Keep at it, follow the ritual and you will get your chance. Good luck.

Quote:I'll bet your heart doesn't get pumping like that with varmints! WTG

That's the truth!

Quote:It's been my experience that when multiples respond and one is dropped they all bolt for the hills. However it is not uncommon for one, maybe two to return to the sound of a kiyi. Make it a habit to sit stone still after dropping one. Sometimes you may not have seen the other one. When they do respond however, they will be sneaking back in, usually peering around brush or rocks, most likely not fully exposed. After the shot immediately crank the volume on a kiyi and let her rip. It will take some getting comfortable with maintaining self control and waiting. My rule of thumb is if you see no response in 10 minutes or so it's time to pack it in. You will likely be even more excited when you get your first double. Keep at it, follow the ritual and you will get your chance. Good luck.

Awesome advice, will give it a try. Really jonesing to get out again now that I know it's actually possible to have some predator hunting success! Of course now I'm starting to think that I might need a bit more gun to have a better chance of putting them down immediately. .204 Ruger? 221 Fireball? .243? Hmmm.....

I had to look it up too, but apparently it is the sound of an injured coyote. Kind of a high pitched shriek like when a dog has it's paw stepped on or something.

Originally Posted By: WeaselCircusI had to look it up too, but apparently it is the sound of an injured coyote. Kind of a high pitched shriek like when a dog has it's paw stepped on or something.

You deserve a gold star for the research WC. Kiyi is an attempt to put that sound into words. All of the canine family use this innate sound indicating pain or even merely being shocked or out of fear. Dogs, coyotes, wolves, hyenas and even foxes make the sound. It can vary in intensity according to the level of pain or shock. I have heard foxes scream almost like a baby when not killed immediately with the first shot. It is an eerie sound about dusk, alone in a canyon. It has an appeal to most predators, particularly coyotes due to their dislike of competition. They seem to assume a stranger invaded their territory and is taking a butt whippin or maybe being killed. It can be productive used as a first call on a stand, but make a habit of blasting it after the gunshot whether or not you score a kill.

Quote:Nice work! Fair warning, it gets addicting.

Quote:Nice Weasel! Do you feel a coyote gives you a little more jolt of adrenaline compared to the smaller varmints?

Definitely more of a jolt - this one really got my heart pounding. Maybe it gets less so after you've had a lot of success, but for now the varmints are like a gateway drug whereas the coyotes are the hard stuff!

Back