Called a bear

Santiam

Been seeing LOTS of bear this spring,but nothing I wanted to shoot so far... With calves and fawns dropping I thought I would try and change my luck with some calling..

Nope,still small...LOL

Last edited:
GREAT video!!

I took a retired navy captain from the Korean war varmint calling up near Globe on the Indian Res, lots of bears in the N. section. He had bugged me to go varmint hunting for a couple of years. As we were walking in, we saw some really large bear tracks. We had no tag or permit to take a bear so I told him not to shoot one. I warned him prior to the trip that when the predators run right up to you, things get pretty exciting. He said that he had survived MIG attacks in the war and he was not worried.

Well, about 5 minutes into the stand, we hear what sounds like a Volkswagen coming through the woods. Suddenly a large bear appears and he actually stands up to get a better view...that rascal looked like the statue of Liberty he was so big. I pulled off my face mask, stood up an started waving my arms and yelling at the top of my lungs, he was about 30 yards away. The bear walked off like he was king of the woods. When he stopped and turned around a looked, I thought that I might have to shoot him, but he quickly turned around and left.

The Capt was so scared, he could hardly talk. He was real jittery and shaky on his feet. He informed me he had a heart condition and that he could not take anymore of that kind of thing. I was not so shocked as the bear was a large one, and when you can hear one grunting and smacking his teeth, it is a little un nerving, especially when you are carrying a 788 in 223.

If you have not experienced a bear coming in, you need to. They have a great nose, use scent blocker and Sardines in oil where it is legal.

Awesome, couple weeks ago i called in and killed one that looks just like that. Mine didnt come charging in though, it snuck in behind me. Didnt know it was there until it was 10 yards away.

Back