A new passion

chewi004

I haven't posted on here in awhile; not that I ever posted much to begin with but I used to visit pretty regularly. Now I am visiting to see what my call, decoy, vest, and other gear is worth if I decide to sell it! I have only made a few stands in the last (2) years...

My new passion is grouse hunting and bird dogs:

sbqanr.jpg

mma1ih.jpg

24lv2bo.jpg

ztjj20.jpg

Every one of these birds are a true trophy, and not to mention they make great table fare. The idea that they cannot be raised in captivity - meaning they are as wild as wild gets is intriguing and helps define the type of person it takes to hunt them.

Every now and then we chase the other wild birds of VA as well:

2znofb4.jpg

2poo0mt.jpg

9vh5k4.jpg

I still got a few buddies that call predators every now and then, so I will tag along with them occasionally. However, I find my self spending my extra time training dogs and scouting for grouse these days. I took this pic last weekend:

24cve6o.jpg

I am about to add a second dog, which means even less possible calling time for me and I am ok with that. I used to find my self planning out of state predator hunts, but now its all about the birds...

2evdug1.jpg

So if you are looking for a good deal on a call, vest, and decoy - stay tuned.

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Nothing wrong with your new passion! Gun dogs, good shotguns, wild flushing game that taste good at the table is hard to beat. I enjoyed your photos, thanks for sharing.

Good pics, also enjoyed them.
If there were more in Georgia, grouse would be my main gig.
Hunted them in Michigan several years ago.
To me, they are the finest game bird on a plate, of any.
Timberdoodles were my 2nd gig, back then.
Also had a devoted Brittany that enjoyed the hunt even more than I did, fond memories.
161732833.nQi9T3s2.jpg

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Funny thing is my desire to grouse hunt somewhat started on this forum. There used to be a member on here (and still might be) that went by "RePete" that always posted about his annual "grouse camp". I enjoyed those posts so much and used to look forward to them each year! Thanks RePete!

For anyone interested, I just posted my gear in the classifieds forum:

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...253#Post2957253

Awesome photos. What a wonderful way to hunt. Double and a dog. The timberdoodles made me think about the only time I got to hunt them. They were a big challenge. I was in Louisiana in thick and briars.
What is that roundbody you are sporting? Nice looking.

Originally Posted By: cherokeetrackerAwesome photos. What a wonderful way to hunt. Double and a dog. The timberdoodles made me think about the only time I got to hunt them. They were a big challenge. I was in Louisiana in thick and briars.
What is that roundbody you are sporting? Nice looking.

Yes the timberdoodles are a lot of fun to hunt! I believe my pup likes hunting them more than grouse, which is odd because a lot of dogs struggle with WC.

You may have to help me out a little...whats a roundbody? If you are referring to the shotgun, it is a cheap ol ATI calvary 20ga and I love it! I bought it brand new for less than $500 and I have to be honest I shoot it really well. I wanted to get something that wouldn't blow my wallet because I know how hard I am on shotguns, and the grouse woods will tear a gun apart in no time. I would highly recommend this shot gun

Last edited:
Interesting that you prefer the O/U.
I picked up an Ithica SKB 20 ga O/U for upland hunting, back in the day,
but the Remington 1100 20 ga pointed better for me, and ended up being my meat gun.
Even took the 1100 20 ga duck hunting over decoys several times & did well.
Saved the O/U for proper "social events".

My britt also did better on WC, they may leave more ground sent than grouse.
My best memory of WC over the britt, was a double off of a twin flush.
They went up close together, then one started left, the other went right.
They usually didn't flush together, which made it more special.

Originally Posted By: Bob_Atl
My best memory of WC over the britt, was a double off of a twin flush.
They went up close together, then one started left, the other went right.
They usually didn't flush together, which made it more special.

Now you are getting me fired up for the season! Gotta love stories like that. Good shooting and thanks for sharing

And I prefer the O/U because I have never shot a SxS! I know its "supposed" to be setters and SxS's and I am sure one day I will end up with a SxS and a setter, but for now its O/U's, German shorthairs and soon a French Brittany! Only other shotgun I own is an old 870 express that I bought for dove hunting. That thing is very similar to carrying a cinder block up the mountain!

Originally Posted By: AdamTMan that's nice. Wish we still had grouse down in these parts like we use to.

There are certainly some birds in SW VA, but I am sure they are not like they used to be. The same can be said for most all of VA and the southern Appalachians for that matter.

I am too young to have experienced the "good ol days" here in VA, but I run around with a lot of gray beards and they tell me stories of them! It certainly is not what is used to be, but if you grouse hunt in VA for a heavy game bag (opposed to the dog work, time outdoors, or exercise, etc...) I can assure you that you wont be grouse hunting long.

To me, there is just something about the hard work involved in killing grouse here in VA that makes it intriguing and addicting. If it were easy, I do not know if I would enjoy it as much?

Some recent training:

vowh9g.jpg

This was my first WC killed here in VA. My dog (which I trained 100%) found it, pointed it, and retrieved it to my hand after the shot. I have never been more proud:

153tu78.jpg

fwn4uq.jpg

If you are lucky enough to harvest the king of all game birds, this is your reward:

p67n4.jpg

...and these mountains always leave me with a tired hound:

35bdyyg.jpg

r0xulf.jpg

Thanks again for the kind words guys. I hope RePete stumbles over this one day.

P.S. - vest and call have been sold. If I remember I will add some pictures of the new puppy when she arrives from KS.

Love the pics.As much as I like calling predators and turkeys.IMO nothing is better than hunting with a good friend and dog's.It's how I got started.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Love the pics.As much as I like calling predators and turkeys.IMO nothing is better than hunting with a good friend and dog's.It's how I got started.

Yea I was really in to calling foxes for awhile, but I couldn't just leave them lay. It seemed like a waste to me, so I started skinning them which I sucked at and foudn to be a lot of work.

After killing a grouse/woodcock/or quail, I can just pull the breasts out and wash my hands and I am done.

I cleaned all of my hand calls up last night and i am sure I'll make my way out to my red fox fields again this fall.

Back