issues

ohihunter2014

I loaded about 30-40 55gr v max for a savage axis heavy barrel last week at 2.252-2.253 and every one shot prefect. I began using a lee auto drum and priming on the press this weekend and loaded 20 of the same as last week. Now comes the issues....

Last night I chambered them and shot about 7 until I had a light firing pin strike and no fire. the bolt wouldn't open unless it was forced open. the bullet had a ring around it near the ogive that appeared to be rifling. I loaded another and it fired and another and no fire with hard bolt and the ring again.

my issue with this rifle from day one is the bolt would get stuck and not open and the empties wouldn't eject out of the chamber. upon having 2 rounds with the ring I loaded a 55gr sp at 2.220 and chambered it and it was tight and had the ring.

when I took the bolt out the extractor plate was really high covering a part of the hole the rounds go into on the bolt. I moved it with my finger and tried the bolt on my other axis the plate doesn't move.

now I have no way of knowing if I seated these too long and my calipers are broken because the hard bolt which is normal with factory rounds seated the bullet deeper than 2.250.

your thoughts?

You don't tell us what caliber you are loading for, so it is hard to give concise ideas. But I DO have a couple of questions:

Is there any way you have two different projectiles mixed together? Ogive shape could definitely cause what you are seeing.

Those high pressures you are talking about, where the bolt wouldn't open and the empty would not eject: your handloads or factory?

You have hard bolt closure with factory rounds? Something definitely amiss. I am not familiar with Savage bolts so I don't understand what you are calling the extractor plate, but regardless: I think this one needs to go back to either Savage or to a knowledgeable gunsmith. Something is definitely amiss, assuming your projectiles are all the same.

Originally Posted By: DoublessYou don't tell us what caliber you are loading for, so it is hard to give concise ideas. But I DO have a couple of questions:

Is there any way you have two different projectiles mixed together? Ogive shape could definitely cause what you are seeing.

Those high pressures you are talking about, where the bolt wouldn't open and the empty would not eject: your handloads or factory?

You have hard bolt closure with factory rounds? Something definitely amiss. I am not familiar with Savage bolts so I don't understand what you are calling the extractor plate, but regardless: I think this one needs to go back to either Savage or to a knowledgeable gunsmith. Something is definitely amiss, assuming your projectiles are all the same.

factory rounds at first would have a hard time opening the bolt both fired and non fired. last night reloads shot fine for first 7 or so then the misfire and the bolt wouldn't open to eject the round that didn't fire.

caliber is 223rem. if you google savage bolt it will show the ejector, firing pin hole and a grey plate that is the extractor.

Originally Posted By: ohihunter2014if you google savage bolt it will show the ejector, firing pin hole and a grey plate that is the extractor.

Or, if you post up some pics of your bolt and what it is doing it might help diagnose. If you search "posting pictures" you will find info on how. Help us help you!
smile.gif

got the bolt fixed at least I hope so. had a smith put a new detent in it and I think a spring and he said its fine now. he said he ran several rounds through it and every one ejected fine. he said it was probably wore and not enough tension.

Back