Choice Powders for a 308

UPDATE: Here is another target with the Bergara .308 and Barnes 150 gr. TSX. Thought I would share some hog hunting accuracy. I am looking forward to the upcoming hunt.

The load is over max in two manuals, but less in a 3rd one. Just a warning to anyone who might use my data as a beginning load. Not advisable.

2-shot groups from a cold barrel

6, the 165 gr hornady sst with varget should shoot great out of that new rifle. I used the sst out of a 30tc for 2 elk,both one shot drt. Both bullets under skin opposite entry after going through shoulder. One weighed 100.5 grains the other 105. Mike

Originally Posted By: LangeOkay since theres a thread about this few questions. I have a 700 5r that im doing development on. I plan to shoot mainly 150 FMJ Hornadys, 168 Sierra or Hornady, and at some point 175 Sierras. Currently loading the 150s to practice learning to shoot distance before stepping up to a match bullet. I got IMR 4064 for starters, would Varget be another powder I could try? Just looking for some variations to test. Thanks

Lange By all means try the Varget especially with the 168gr,, Now with the 175 grain, your rifle might like H4350 better.

David,
Good shooting, and you are off to a good start. I would like to suggest a couple of things. First get some cheap ammo ( doesn't matter if store bought, or if you roll your own. ) Shoot the gun, and get started getting used to it, and by that I mean the trigger, and hold,, Get some muscle memory going here, while you "BREAK IN" the rifle. Keep track of the shots fired so that when groups start to close, you can take notice and then go back to your "Hunting Load" development. Since you now have an idea of the COAL and you are closing in on the node,,,, Chronograph the other loads and do a little variety so that even with cheaper ammo you are learning and developing your information. Then you can go back to the 150 grain or even change and go to your 165-168 Barnes. By shooting the Dots or circles you are limiting yourself some. Best to get some targets with squares when developing accuracy loads. This way, the scope Cross Hairs, can be lined up to bump the Horizontal line and the Vertical line. That way you absolutely have the closest possible point of being the same each time. Benchrest shooters do this. Of course they do not care if the POA and the POI are the same. But by following their example in this, You will know more precisely what your loads are capable of.
Doesn't matter which corner you choose.
Keep this going, and try to shoot some groups with a fouled barrel. First off, when the Hunting Season starts, It has been known to be the last time a person cleans their barrel, till the season is over. Unless rain or something else cause the need for attention. Here Again Benchrest shooters always fire a fouling shot, then start on the group. Try all these things while you are breaking in the barrel, and getting more trigger time with your gun. Then as you go back to your "Hunting Load" development, you can refer back to your notes in your LOG BOOK and notice if you need a fouling shot, or just what a cold bore shot is going to do, or how it is going to react.
I am looking forward to the progress on this.

Charles

Thanks Charles. Good info.

My eyes are not so good anymore, though I can see via a scope for shooting. I designed these targets myself, specifically to help me see well and concentrate on the target for accurate shooting. I find that I can place a relatively thin crosshair (such as the Leupold Vari-X 3, 4.5x14) in the center of the white inner bullseye and see it pretty good. For aiming it's kind of like using a peep sight in that the brain automatically centers the crosshair. I find that to be a good aiming point and works for me.

I haven't chronographed the load yet but will do that soon. I'm curious about the velocity. This rifle was purchased for a hog gun and the 150 gr. Barnes TSX was the bullet of choice that I wanted to use. The factory stuff I shot earlier didn't group worth a hoot, but as you say, it helped me to get used to the rifle, trigger etc. and allowed some breaking in, not to mention yielding 40 more pieces of Winchester brass.

I was initially concerned that the 1:10" twist would not shoot lighter bullets well, but this is not the case with the 150 gr. Barnes.

I really like this Bergara rifle. It feels good in my hands, points well and the Timney trigger breaks clean. The literature says it is set at the factory at 3.2 pounds though I haven't checked it yet. I have a trigger pull guage but just haven't checked it. The trigger is adjustable but I don't want to remove the rifle from the stock since it is shooting so well. The owner's manual gives a torque measure when replacing it and cautions to torque it back to their specs. I don't have a means of doing that so I haven't touched it since it's plenty good enough for a hunting rifle.

After cleaning a barrel, I always fire a fouling shot or two. Before hunts I check zero and groups, and clean once accuracy begins to fade.

I know that some guys report poor accuracy with the TSX bullets, but my experience has been the opposite for some reason. I like those bullets and load them in 4 different rifle calibers, and I have bullets to load for yet two others that I haven't gotten around to testing yet. Just today at Bass Pro I picked up a box of 6mm 85 gr. TSX for my 6x45 in case I might decide to use it for hogs too, or deer.

David, Sounds like you are getting things worked out quite well. Remember to clamp your gun in a vise before you try to check the trigger. Just holding it in your hand will give you a false reading.
I was looking forward to at some point, you trying a 165 grain bullet. Especially the TSX. I can't help but feel that it will be the one that gives the best performance. Who Knows?

As far as torquing the rifle, you are correct this is very important. The sequence and the torque both. I would give them a call and see if they recommend anyone, such as a Gunsmith, or ask if they will adjust the trigger for you. What are you wanting to go with? 2 pounds perhaps?

Sorry Cherokee for the time in responding to your question.

Yes, I like 2# for a hunting trigger, or even 2.5# but I generally like them pretty light. In truth however, the factory set 3.2# is not bad at all, though it wouldn't hurt to adjust it down a bit.
I don't feel under any pressure to lower it at this time because it actually feels lighter than the stated 3.2#

Here's the lastest on the Bergara and Photon combination. I think it's hog-ready.

Back