THERAPY!

flintrock

Triggered by a demanding couple of weeks and a need to escape the rat race, I broke the gear out again to try and replenish the soul. It didn't hurt that we had a big spring cold front with a lot if rain, an active barometer and good winds. The coyotes have also been very active and marking territory like mad.
The first step to replenishing the soul was food. Threw a couple of rib eyes on the grill, some Idaho bakers, with all the trimmings, and a little Pendleton for later. Cleaned up after supper and told the wife, "I will see you after dark".

I had been seeing a single coyote in a pasture up North almost every time I went there to check cattle, so it was on my mind. Got in on a pond dam close to where I had been seeing it and gave a lone howl just as the sun was setting. With the first lone howl, the cattle West of me picked their heads up and started drifting my way to the edge of a big draw and stopped before crossing it. I waited several minutes and gave a couple of higher pitched howls. Almost immediately, all the cattle were looking up the draw they were on, watching something I couldn't see, but had a pretty good idea of what it was. They followed it with their gaze right in front of them and then past them, just like a tennis crowd watching a volley. Sure makes it easier when you have all those extra eyes! He stepped out about a 100 yds. below me trotting a circle to try and get the wind.

He never did! This is the last thing he saw.

Now, where did I put that Pendleton?

This narcotic we call coyote calling, seems to demand more and more use. This was last Saturday. I skipped Sunday and made a single evening stand Monday thru Thursday.

Monday: This one tried to wash his sins away.

This is his final resting place.

Tuesday; Blank!

Wednesday: Waited for this to pass,

for this result.

Thursday: A friend called and said he had coyotes in the yard almost every night. He lives an hour North and coyotes are more aggressive up there. This one brought a knife to a gun fight; and lost!

This stand actually produced a double, but sorry, you don't get those pictures. But here's one more of that stand location.

I had to shoot him through the top 2 wires of the fence. The second was just above the top wire.
I think this therapy session may just hold me for awhile. Now, where did I put that Pendleton?

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Knife to a gun fight, nice touch. Great read. Thanks for sharing. My therapy sessions start Monday. Hopefully ending the same way, with one exception, Jameson 1780

Superb write up and pictures Flint. Makes us feel like we were there with ya. Hey, maybe you've hit on something there also. What would you charge to train a guys cattle to point and retrieve?

Originally Posted By: AdamTGood job. Thanks for sharing Originally Posted By: canislatrans54That looks & sounds like a GREAT therapy session!!!
Originally Posted By: hm1996That therapy sure beats a couch! Great read, thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm Originally Posted By: varmint101Very nice! A definite stress reliever!

Thanks fellas, it definitely had the desired effect!

utah yote, keep us informed.

DakotaBoy, I have probably outlived the cowboy killer effect ( I just don't recover like I used to). Now my goal is just warm and fuzzy!

azmastablasta, the pointing part would come easy but the retrieving part would be pretty expensive! HAHA

Well, the bar has been set pretty high, Infidel. Just trying to keep up! Your right about the deja vu. Your post was my first thought when I found him in the creek. Might have walked right past if it wasn't for the red stain on the water.

Last edited:
great post and nice work.
coyotes are crafty, but even Wiley hasn't learned to bring more than just a knife to a gun fight.

Back