CloCk STopPer

Wile E Coyotie

Seeding is all pretty much done - here the In laws are laying it down 80 feet at a time none stop except for refueling - filling - 24 hrs a day-- soon to b an Ocean of Lentils --
Let it rain !!
I have been hammering the gophers - they have come on like a plague -- over populating the calving pastures where the grass is still short -- I fired 1000 rnds solo from 3 different stands - 22 LR - owning everything out to 125 yrds- did not even put a dent into them --

last wkend - a good friend was in and we fired 1500 rnds on them shooting from 2:30 till 7:00 pm -unreal---a curse to the rancher /farmer - but pure Nirvana for a shooter--
as fast as u can load a 10/22 clip- and fire it - repeat -- gets u crossed eyed after while--

we set out early on Saturday with yote's on the plan-- and ended up in perfect position - about 9:30 -( not too early i know)-- regardless its alway nice to have back up gunner on board - most of my time being solo-

-after settling in - - its bright and we r lit up on the hill side sitting in 2 foot sage bush

- I have good idea where i think they should come from and have back up gun -in favorable position-- and send off a Stress Bark Bark Bark -- for 3 mins -
then into Pup distress --
at 4;50 on the clock - we both can see 3 doggs hard charging- from the south - - they come into my view - at about 700 yrds out- closing the distance to half in no time ---

i turned the caller off and all 3 come to a stop-- at about 200 yrds - so i switched it back on and on in they come - -- to 100 yrds real quick-

i can see the lead one spotting the back up gun repositioning - catching his movement- and figuring him out - -- the other 2 have no clue -

- I am centered on the front dog thinking - the back up gun is going to sound off real quick- but - 2 second then 5 seconds and the dogg is still turning to retreat and Bam -- i fired on auto pilot - high into the ruff-- 1/2 second later the back up gun went off - high as well-- - now we got 3 yodies running in front of us -- i can hear the 22:250 barking but i still see 3 running
I picked one heading right to left and pulled out front and fired catching him in the poncho rolling him

-- i am stunned a bit that i hit him but also - by-- blow back into my face powder blast-?? the gun is tough to open but it does - the brass wanting to eject- but hung on the bolt by primer remains --

I have fired over 4000 custom hand loads through this gunn- same load and bullet-- every time it comes in the door -- it has a cleaning rod stuff down its throat -
1st time i have blown a primer right out of the pocket- - thats serious pressure -- I had the foresight to check the barrel for light and find it clean as this was only the 2nd shot on a clean barrel- and chamber looking for another target -

still the 22:250 is barking - and i can see the one -- I knock down is up-- and moving but i cannot get a shot off - he is gone -- I will tagged him as -#1011- male sage sable
Back up gun fails to connect - but is excited over the heat he has generated --

next set -
I have used this spot before - and we sneak in --- I set the back up gunn about bang on --as at 7 min mark a large male is standing profile on the hill side -- he is 300 yrds out from me and I held onto the center point for about 5 second before the back up gunner sounds off - catching the alpha male just behind the ear - elongating his cranial lob-

next set - no show -

next set - its nearly noon and sun is high when we set up on the old dam --Tacoma is stashed up hill in the drainage -18C --
--at 14 mins - i can see - a big white dogg running in - I look for back up gunner and whistle to him - but get no response- --dog is now up into 100 yrds and i gotta slow him down - so i shut the call off--and he does come to a stop- i got him centered and holding -waiting for my buddy to shoot--- in the big eye i can see -he has me figured out and his demurer changes --good friend or not - its bell time -and i fire--

#1012 takes it square on -chest forward -- The blow back into my face was intense - lifting my hat nearly off my forehead- -I had good glasses on and a face mask - and it a good thing -
plenty of debris / powder whatever it is that comes out- has alot of pressure behind it--
I tried to open the bolt but it was froze-- this is major pressure built up- _ i am not a tech but have hand loaded for the past 20 yrs and never experienced anything like it--
I managed to get the bolt open by tapping on it with a wooden block but the brass is expanded and the MT round is stuck on the end of the bolt head --
I have called the gunsmith and have sent the bolt to him -waiting for his response -- a CloCk STopPer for sure - dne for the day --
- - falling into my back up gun now -- 25-06 75 gr HP--
time to rebuild-

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Man, sounds like the good Lord was with ya there Wile E, could have been a serious outcome. Have you checked your loader for possible double drop? Also in years past I have put the wrong powder in while being distracted, not always a happy ending. BTW good read as usual.

I can't load for my .220 if the humidity is high, will swell primer pockets or blow primers with 4064, although I have never had bolt to stick. I would be interested to hear what the smithy says.

Last edited:
Great story, loved the write up. Pictures and description were fantastic. Glad no one got hurt in the firing. It will make for a real good story too! Thanks.

Back