New coyote build

Pantera

I picked up another lower and am in the process of turning it into a fine coyote rifle!

I am styling it similar to the R15's, with the tubular handguard, fluted barrel, railed gas block, and rifle length stock.

Remington-R15-VTR-Review.jpg

The thing is, the R15 has a 12" handguard and a 22" fluted barrel. These barrels are hard to find at that length standalone, and the R15 style uppers I have found online are all the heavy bull barrels.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/upper-receivers/ar-15-m16-upper-receivers-prod60496.aspx?avs%7cCartridge_1=AJJ_223+Remington

https://jtdistributing.com/store/arbu102.html

I can't find complete uppers in the configuration I'm looking for, maybe I'll have to get a standalone .223 wylde fluted barrel at that length? That way, I can shoot my .223rem and .556, I don't ever plan on shooting Wylde and would just get it for the length. The R15 has this cool barrel that is halfway fluted and 22". I'm guessing that kind of barrel is only model specific.

20 inches or 22, I don't care. I have found some good looking standalone tubular 12" handguards on midway and CTD.

Have you guys built anything similar to the R15, and did you have to do it piece by piece or with a completed upper? Are there such things as completed uppers with tubular handguards and fluted barrels available? I finished a custom build recently, piece by piece, and am not looking forward to that again.

Last edited:
22" is also my favorite barrel length. It just seems right to me. I bought a take of R15 barrel from the classifieds here before. Might be worth a try. Otherwise that style of fluting might be hard to find I think.

heres my recent coyote killer. Sounds like we had a lot in mind when putting them together.

This is all individual parts. Aero upper, BCA 18" .223 Wylde barrel, BTE 12"hand guard.
zwi89s.jpg

Originally Posted By: NEfurtakerheres my recent coyote killer. Sounds like we had a lot in mind when putting them together.

This is all individual parts. Aero upper, BCA 18" .223 Wylde barrel, BTE 12"hand guard.
zwi89s.jpg

How do you like that stock?

Originally Posted By: 204 AR22" is also my favorite barrel length. It just seems right to me. I bought a take of R15 barrel from the classifieds here before. Might be worth a try. Otherwise that style of fluting might be hard to find I think.

Originally Posted By: NEfurtakerheres my recent coyote killer. Sounds like we had a lot in mind when putting them together.

zwi89s.jpg

That's a sweet DMR/AR. Someone offered me their R15 barrel I am going to take them up on it. I'll be putting up my original upper on the classifieds here soon.

Originally Posted By: AdamTOriginally Posted By: NEfurtakerheres my recent coyote killer. Sounds like we had a lot in mind when putting them together.

zwi89s.jpg

How do you like that stock?

Love it. I had shot some other guys with adjustable stocks and just didnt like the way they felt. Too wobbly for my liking on a hunting rig.

Saw this one, it looked solid. So i went to my local guy who stocks alot of AR stuff, and he had a rifle on the shelf that had this stock. Great firm feeling on the shoulder, lighter than A2, good cheek weld for me. I was sold, and it fit into my color scheme well.
thumbup.gif

Thanks. I always liked the solidity of the A2, but felt it was missing the check weld and side sling attachments I was accustomed to on my carbines. I'm planning out a 6.5 build and I may give this stock a go for it.

Back