How cheap to load a round of .223...today

With all of these prices We are ALL at way below cost for the same as or if not more accurate loads than what we would have to pay if we weren't reloading. In the end I enjoy both the savings and accuracy.

When I figured my price per round that included once fired prepped brass at 111/2 cents each, so without the brass, the price is about 15 cents per round.

Quote: The powder is local so no tax or hazmat

They don't have sales tax where you live? I thought everybody had sales tax.

Without jumping through a lot of math hoops, I figured my cost out recently and at going price of Benchrest, primers and hornady 55 SP, AND getting 8 loads per case (I know, not supposed to figure brass but....) it is cheaper for me to shoot my .223 than my 17HMR with 17 ammo at $13 per box of 50.

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote: The powder is local so no tax or hazmat

Not all states have sales tax. I know for a fact that Oregon does not.

Originally Posted By: dpollardOriginally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote: The powder is local so no tax or hazmat

Not all states have sales tax. I know for a fact that Oregon does not.

And you cannot pump your own gas in Oregon.... That totally freaked me out
w00t.gif

I have been reading this thread with interest and I did the math just to see what it costs me. With that said, Palmetto State Armory just ran a Daily Deal on American Eagle AR 223 50 gr Tipped Varmint (VMAX/Varmageddon) and was selling it for $5.89/box (of 20).

When you factor in the time to reload, you just can't beat those prices when reloading. You can always get better accuracy reloading but I've heard this ammo is really accurate and is definitely good enough for coyote hunting and should work for p-dogs as well.

Originally Posted By: HuntI have been reading this thread with interest and I did the math just to see what it costs me. With that said, Palmetto State Armory just ran a Daily Deal on American Eagle AR 223 50 gr Tipped Varmint (VMAX/Varmageddon) and was selling it for $5.89/box (of 20).

When you factor in the time to reload, you just can't beat those prices when reloading. You can always get better accuracy reloading but I've heard this ammo is really accurate and is definitely good enough for coyote hunting and should work for p-dogs as well.

That is pretty cheap if you can snag it off the shelf and that ammo does shoot great (for me anyways), it's just the shipping that brings the price up if you don't buy in bulk. If you compare what it costs me to make a box of 20 rds (right at $6) to what it would cost to hypothetically buy one box there, the shipping is $8.50 so now you are back at $14.39 per box plus waiting on it to ship. I understand that most people that order ammo don't do it one box at a time but if I want to load one box at a time I can with no wait time. Their shipping does drop off drastically though after one box. I think it was $12 for 10 boxes which you are correct, that would be cheap especially for the non-handloader, but also you have to catch it on sale. Just my thoughts and no offense intended.

Shelton

At that price, buy a bunch and save the brass.

Reloading for me is about cutting down on the cost of shooting each shot, making the best reload that i can for each of my rifles.

But, also having the security to have ammunition when i want it.
Last time the shelves were bare, was not the first, second, or last time that is going to happen. The prices on everything is going up, and the Lefties keep trying as hard as they can to stop you from shooting.
What was the price of ammo the last time it was out?? Might as well have been $1000 a box since you couldn't get any, anywhere.

For those that had a supply, and knowhow, it didn't even slow us down. I will not let the leftest influence when or how often i shoot. I took my ball and went else where and bought supplies to make their actions have no effect.

Well, the libs are doing everything possible to throw a monkey wrench in ammo purchases which would also cause prices to soar.

Quote: Anti-gun Congresspersons Try, Try Again, Reveal Prohibitionist Ambitions

Friday, May 22, 2015

As we reported last week, Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman (D-N.J.) is seeking to revive failed and rejected gun control strategies of the past by implementing burdensome and unnecessary controls on sales of ammunition. H.R. 2283, the so-called Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act of 2015, wouldn’t just ban online ammunition sales, it would generally ban private ammunition sales altogether. So while a widow, for example, could still sell her deceased husband’s guns to a neighbor if the bill were passed, she could not sell the neighbor any ammunition that might go with them. Even from a gun control perspective, this seems like odd public policy, but then we’ve never accused our opponents of being burdened by logic or consistency.

H.R. 2283 would mandate all sales of ammunition to unlicensed persons to occur in face-to-face transactions with FFLs. The FFLs would have to verify and record the identity of ammunition buyers in their records and report to federal authorities sales of more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition to the same person during any five consecutive business days. Just how FFLs, particularly high-volume stores with multiple employees, are supposed to know if a given person bought ammo recently or how much is not clear.

These provisions certainly would make ammunition sales more burdensome and intrusive and encourage those who had unwanted ammunition to keep it on hand, but the bill has no discernable public safety rationale.

Your vigilance and action, however, can stop them. This is why you should always voice your disapproval of any federal gun control bill with your congressional representatives, whether it’s election season or not, and whether the bill seems likely to move in the current Congress or not.

Read more here:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150522...onist-ambitions

Regards,
hm

i say that every time this kind of stuff comes up, the republicans respond in kind with a drop one more welfare program.
There are several dozen of them, just start with one, like the Obama phones and drop that. Tell them it's becuase of this.
If they don't get the message, next should be any and all funding to liberal groups like the National endowment for the arts and planned parenthood.

Keep going from there.

When you run out of that, you can cut funding for NOAA. Since they are now fudging historical data to make climate change appear worse. We don't need that agency if that is what they are up to.

I figured out some costs here,
CCI no. 400 primers for .04
V-Max 55 gr. 500 for $72, so .14
brass is free for me
IMR 4064 (all I could find!) $28 @ 25 gr. so .11 per round
All in all, 29 cents per round, give or take a few.

Well this sucks. Now im envious of you guys. Up here in the north country prices have gotten a little bit stupid on components.
Cci primers. $50 per thousand. Hornady spfb 55gr $165 per thousand. H335 $40 per 1lb. Which brings my cost per round to .34
This is with the most discounted components i could find. Recently on a canadian forum a member in ontario stated that his "cheep" plinking round was .77 per round.

Back