Filming night hunts

Kasper3825

I hunt strictly at night and wanna start filming my hunts. My question is has anyone used an action cam ( GoPro)at night with success? I will be using a red light due to thermal and night vision being illegal in PA. I will be self filming the hunt also.

A GoPro won't give you enough distance itself to be able to see what you are shooting at beyond 20 yards. Torry Pines makes a GoPro adapter thing called the DeadEye or EagleEye that could work, if you want to pony up $1000 for it. It records through your scope and would work really well. You may be able to get by with a Tactacam, but again good video would be dependent on your shot distances. Otherwise trying to self film at night with a video camera would be down right tough to do, especially on moving targets.

If you tinker and research, you can swap out the lenses in a GoPro if you are inclined to tearing apart a $300+ dollar camera. There may be some other options and ideas out there that other guys know about though too.

I have been struggling with this lately and up until the point have been using a DIY digital scope setup with TNVC mini DVR recording the footage. Here is the latest I recorded:

I tried the ATN Shot Trak but it was worthless at night.

Last week I found the Mobius Action Cam and have put a 25mm day lens (~5x zoom) on it and also a 16mm IR lens (~3x zoom) and am pleased with how it works for the low cost and small package! I have a 25mm IR lens for it but am waiting on an adaptor before I can mount it.
5efbe5a1-dede-4a91-8bea-c684a13c9564_zpsu2ra6izz.jpg

There is a pic rail mount from Möbius and several guys on Shapeways.com are 3D printing improved versions for sale. It is very easy to change the lenses out; remove 3 screws and screw in the new lens.

I scan with a thermal handheld and had been using the DIY, Photon, and X-Sight digital scopes but have went back to red LED lights so that people hunting with me can see what's happening. That first video is a hunt where I took a 13yr old and his dad on their first coyote hunt and we called in that triple within about 10 minutes and the son got to take the shot! The dad was watching right next to him and could see everything plain as day; he said he'll remember that moment the rest of his life!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NoName1Simojo...did you find specific IR lenses for the Mobius or did you buy lenses and remove the IR filters?

I had this lens from my DIY scope camera and it is what I filmed the YouTube video with using the Mobius:
http://www.amazon.com/F1-2-16mm-Fixed-Board-Camera/dp/B008N7BOCA

Originally Posted By: Kasper3825Simojo- have you tried the 25mm day lens with your 403 red light yet?
I did. I tried it without an IR filter on the camera lens and it didn't work worth a darn.

I'll post up a video once I get the adaptor ring for the 25mm IR lens.

Perfect thank you! The Mobius with IR light video was exactly what I'm looking for. My distances will be shorter, 30-100 yards roughly so judging from the 175 yard garage distance...it will be right on the money. And will be much cheaper than hacking up GoPros!

If you order this vid and watch it, itll change the way you think about night hunting with lights. I was a "red light only" kinda guy when it came to night hunting...until I saw this vid. These guys use ONLY white light, and go into extensive detail as to why. They kill MANY predators on film at night using white light, and you will see, it does not affect the predators at all. It actually shocked me. Here is a trailer to their vid I found on YouTube....Its a good movie. I paid $14 for it at Sportsman Warehouse. Im sure you can order it online if you search it.

Heres some footage of my last hunt using the Torrey pines eagle eye. We use gen3 clip on with it though and not lights but it would certainly work that way.

Back